The Golden Age of Hollywood

Born Yesterday (1950)

Starring:

Judy Holliday, William Holden & Broderick Crawford

Views: 8

Replies to This Discussion

This film is a paradox for me.  I enjoy watching Judy Holliday, William Holden, and Broderick Crawford, but this film more or less leaves me flat.

I never said it was good Mickey! LOL

I think it's a great movie, and I love Judy Holliday's performance. Her character, Billie, starts out a trashy bimbo, but William Holden sees her potential and transforms her. Interestingly, the way her father and her past are referred to gives one the impression that she went downhill when she met Broderick Crawford. That part of it is a timeless story--nice girl gets involved with not-so-nice guy. It can take an extreme intervention to get out of such a relationship, and happily, she is rescued by William Holden. I find it very satisfying to see her grow, not only in knowledge but more importantly in self-respect. In many movies of the time, the message was quite different: the bad man is saved by the unwavering loyalty of the woman, despite what she has to put up with from him. In reality, it doesn't work this way very often.

I've also seen the remake, starring Melanie Griffith. It had a nice addition to the scene where Billie is displaying her new-found knowledge to the snooty Washington know-it-alls. In the remake, Billie has come up with a mnemonic devise to remember all the Constitutional amendments, and it's a song set to the tune of the 12 Days of Christmas. She ends up teaching it to everyone, and it's a really fun scene.

Device, not devise.

RSS

TCM Blog

William Wyler’s Wuthering Heights (’39)

To view Wuthering Heights click here. Following the success of Dead End (written about here) in 1937, director William Wyler headed over to Warner Bros. to direct Jezebel (1938), a romantic drama set in the antebellum South, starring Bette Davis and Henry Fonda. The film was a critical and commercial success, and earned Davis her […]

“He Don’t Believe in Anything” – Mr. Freedom

To view Mr. Freedom click here. There’s a scene in Arthur Miller’s American Clock, a lesser known and not very successful later work of his, where a father and son go to a government office during the Depression to try and get the son a work voucher since the father won’t let him live at […]

Taking Issue with A Boy and His Dog (1975)

A guest post provided by former TCM intern, Alexandra Greenway. To view A Boy and His Dog click here. A Boy and His Dog follows 18-year-old Vic (Don Johnson) and his telepathic dog, Blood (voiced by Tim McIntire), as they scavenge for women in the dystopian Wild West in the year 2024. The film is […]

© 2017   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service