The Golden Age of Hollywood

Views: 28

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I always found this amazing...

I love it when he does that snake hips thing.

Hi, Midge! It seems like I haven't seen you in years!  :)

Kevin

Some of those hip moves remind me of Elvis Presley.

Something else that Jolson did in 1927 should also remind you of Elvis Presley.  Any ideas? x

Well, my question seems to have gone down like a sack of potatoes, so I shall now give the waiting world the answer: In 1927, Jolson recorded the song 'Are You Lonesome Tonight?', which was a reasonable hit for him, and perhaps would have remained the definitive recording of the song until Elvis Presley's manager, Colonel Tom Parker, requested that Presley record the song at his first post-Army recording session in April 1960.  It was the only time that Parker, who did not meddle in Presley's artistic affairs, requested a particular song from his artist; in this case, it was for the Colonel's wife, who was quite ill at the time. Recorded with a relatively simple arrangement, just an acoustic guitar and backing vocals (I think there is some acoustic bass in there too), the song was a massive worldwide hit, eventually selling over five million copies. x

You are a wealth of knowledge! I'm so glad you're here!

Thank you!  I once went to RCA Studio B in Nashville, where Elvis Presley recorded 'Are You Lonesome Tonight?'.  They had a large sheet of paper - easily 36" x 18", with the vocal charts for that song on it written in large lettering - on the wall.  None of the singers could read music, apparently.  I sat down and played the same piano that was used on every Presley hit (except 'Are You Lonesome Tonight?', oddly) from 1957 until 1971.  I'm so glad I'm here, too!  You don't happen to be a Presley fan, do you? x

RSS

Groups

TCM Blog

A Far From Perfect Understanding (1933)

To view Perfect Understanding click here. In 1929, after a successful career in silent film and at the height of her popularity, Gloria Swanson was preparing for her transition to “talkies,” the earliest, raw experiments in bringing sound to motion pictures. Her sound debut was in the 1929 drama written and directed by Edmund Goulding, The […]

Werner Herzog and the Burden of Dreams (1982)

To view Burden of Dreams click here. “If I abandon this project I would be a man without dreams and I don’t want to live like that. I live my life or I end my life with this project.” That’s how Werner Herzog responded to his investors in Germany asking him if he had the will […]

The Living and the Dead: L’Eclisse (1962)

To view L’Eclisse click here. FilmStruck is currently streaming 11 films featuring Alain Delon as part of their “Icons: Alain Delon” theme and for the next 4 weeks I’ll be spotlighting a few of my favorite titles in this collection. To learn more about the French actor please see a previous post I wrote in 2010 […]

© 2017   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service