The Golden Age of Hollywood

UPDATE:

We've done many categories since this game started. I announce the current category in the game, but if you can't find the announcement, just ask any of the players.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's a game I play every chance I get with anyone who knows about movies. It's very simple: we pick a movie category and take turns naming titles of movies that fit in the category. For example, "films with a number in the title," or "films with hospital scenes" or "films with Joseph Cotten." I thought I'd see if anyone here wants to play.

Since there's no way of knowing how many people would want to join in, we can't take turns, so let's do it this way: only name one title at a time and wait for someone else to name one before you go again. The game ends when either we can't think of any more titles, or we reach 50 titles (because I know some people could go on and on way past the point where I would get bored with the category). So please mention the number we're on when you name a title.
It's no fair using IMDB or other sources, but if you run across a title by accident while the game is going on, it's fair to use it.
I'll start, and for the category I choose "films in which a fire occurs" (not a fire in the fireplace). The fire doesn't have to be depicted, just mentioned. This is a hard category for me, because it will mostly be composed of dramas, and I'm more into comedies, but here goes:

(WARNING: SPOILERS)
1. Rebecca

Views: 51111

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

22. Bell, Book, and Candle from 1957. This is a color film with Kim Novak and Jimmy Stewart in which she plays a beautiful witch. She has a pet Siamese cat, Pyewacket, who is an important part of the film. His perspective is shown a few times, and it is always shown in black and white, oddly stretched film. I guess that shows what Richard Quine thought of feline ocular characteristics!

23. The Magic Box (1951) - Charming British biopic in rich Technicolor of cinematography pioneer William Friese-Greene starring Robert Donat.

In 1889, William Friese-Greene invented and patented a moving picture camera capable of taking ten photographs per second using perforated celluloid film.

In one scene, overcome with emotion, (for the first time) he demonstrates his 'magic box'  apparatus to a suspicious Police Constable onto a white sheet.

24. Zelig - Woody Allen stars in this mockumentary about a "Chameleon Man" who can look like anyone. Set in the 1920s and filmed mostly in black and white in newsreel style, except for the modern interviews with notables such as Susan Sontag and Saul Bellow. I don't know how the contemporary interviewees managed to play their part with such a straight face, but they did a great job.

25. The Amazing Howard Hughes (1977)- TV movie in colour starring Tommy Lee Jones.

This biographical drama made quite an impact on me when I first saw it.

The multi-talented Howard Hughes: the maverick business tycoon; the controversial movie producer and director; the ingenious aircraft designer and pilot and sadly at the end of his life how he became a neurotic recluse.

Some of the scenes in the movie have clips of monochrome newsreels of his activities in the aircraft industry and also some footage of his movies.

26.  I'll Never Forget You  (1951)

This is a time-travel film, starring Tyrone Power and Ann Blyth.  All of the scenes in the past are in color, while the present day events are black and white. 

Here is a music video using that film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1RNQ5bf_48

27. A Bridge Too Far (1977)-  Epic World War 2 movie in Technicolor directed by Richard Attenborough.

In September 1944 the Allied Forces attempt to capture strategic  bridges in occupied Arnhem, Holland. The secret campaign was known as Operation Market Garden

At the beginning of the movie, black and white newsreel is shown.

There have been some excellent films listed recently. I haven't mentioned one in a while since I didn't know any more to do, but I just stumbled on one. 28. "Dixiana" from 1930 is a pre-Code Wheeler and Woolsey comedy set in the South in the 1840s. There is a Mardi Gras finale which is in two-strip Technicolor.

29. Spike Lee's first movie made in 1986 titled "She's gotta have it" was a black and white movie. The main character is Nola Darling, and for her birthday one of her boyfriends takes her to the park to watch some dancers. This scene is shot in color. The second pane in the attached image contains an image from this scene with a banner containing the words "Happy Birthday Nola."

An interesting fact, about the movie involves Spike Lee's character in the movie, Mars Blackmon. Nike would go on to use this character in commercials promoting Michael Jordan's tennis shoes. The last pane in the attached image contains a promotional picture of Micheal Jordan and Spike Lee.
Attachments:

30. The Campus Vamp (1928) - Mack Sennett silent two-reeler featuring the risqué and somewhat controversial Sennett's Bathing Beauties, including the lovelies Sally Eilers and Carole Lombard.

Sweet Sally, bright, bespectacled and pretty has a love rival; a long-legged athletic blonde vamp. Who will Matty her beau choose?

The movie is shot in black and white, except for a short segment at the start of the film when the girls are waving and almost at the finale when the scantily-clad gals play baseball on the beach. These are in two strip Technicolor.

I remembered this movie after reading one of Mack Sennett's biographies about a year ago. I dug out the book just to clarify the details I needed.

RSS

TCM Blog

William Wyler’s Wuthering Heights (’39)

To view Wuthering Heights click here. Following the success of Dead End (written about here) in 1937, director William Wyler headed over to Warner Bros. to direct Jezebel (1938), a romantic drama set in the antebellum South, starring Bette Davis and Henry Fonda. The film was a critical and commercial success, and earned Davis her […]

“He Don’t Believe in Anything” – Mr. Freedom

To view Mr. Freedom click here. There’s a scene in Arthur Miller’s American Clock, a lesser known and not very successful later work of his, where a father and son go to a government office during the Depression to try and get the son a work voucher since the father won’t let him live at […]

Taking Issue with A Boy and His Dog (1975)

A guest post provided by former TCM intern, Alexandra Greenway. To view A Boy and His Dog click here. A Boy and His Dog follows 18-year-old Vic (Don Johnson) and his telepathic dog, Blood (voiced by Tim McIntire), as they scavenge for women in the dystopian Wild West in the year 2024. The film is […]

© 2017   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service