The Golden Age of Hollywood

UPDATE:

We've done many categories since this game started. I announce the current category in the game, but if you can't find the announcement, just ask any of the players.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's a game I play every chance I get with anyone who knows about movies. It's very simple: we pick a movie category and take turns naming titles of movies that fit in the category. For example, "films with a number in the title," or "films with hospital scenes" or "films with Joseph Cotten." I thought I'd see if anyone here wants to play.

Since there's no way of knowing how many people would want to join in, we can't take turns, so let's do it this way: only name one title at a time and wait for someone else to name one before you go again. The game ends when either we can't think of any more titles, or we reach 50 titles (because I know some people could go on and on way past the point where I would get bored with the category). So please mention the number we're on when you name a title.
It's no fair using IMDB or other sources, but if you run across a title by accident while the game is going on, it's fair to use it.
I'll start, and for the category I choose "films in which a fire occurs" (not a fire in the fireplace). The fire doesn't have to be depicted, just mentioned. This is a hard category for me, because it will mostly be composed of dramas, and I'm more into comedies, but here goes:

(WARNING: SPOILERS)
1. Rebecca

Views: 51113

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One interesting fact about this movie is the fact that Father Daniel A. Lord, one of the future authors of the Code, was used as the Catholic consultant in this film. Cecil B. DeMille hired a Protestant minister, a Jewish rabbi, and a Catholic priest, Father Lord. Father Lord, who was a writer in his younger days, became very friendly with Mr. DeMille. They had lunch together frequently during the filming and remained lifelong friends. After that, Father Lord always fancied himself to be something of a filmmaker. That is probably why he was selected as the priestly co-writer to collaborate with Martin Quigley on the Code in 1929.

By the way, I would like to invite all the participants of this game to join my blogathon, "The Great Breening Blogathon:" https://pureentertainmentpreservationsociety.wordpress.com/2017/09/.... It is celebrating the life and work of Joseph Breen, the enforcer of the Motion Picture Production Code between 1934 and 1954. As we honor his birthday, which is on October 14, we will be discussing and analyzing the Code era, breening films from other eras, and writing about our own ideas for classic movies. One doesn't have to agree with the Code and Mr. Breen to enjoy that! I hope you will do me the honor of joining. We could really use your talent!

Yours Hopefully,

Tiffany Brannan

Thank you for the info, Tiffany.

8. Glorifying the American Girl from 1929 contained a very risque Technicolor sequence as its finale. This fifteen minute extravaganza was the finale of a Ziegfield musical in the form of an early talkie. It featured lots of cameos, so we could have included it in the last round of this game!

9. Pleasantville - An interesting 1998 film about two teenagers who get sucked into a 1950s TV sitcom called Pleasantville, where life is simple and everything is in black and white. In time, due to the teens' influence, color begins to creep into the lives of the people of Pleasantville.

I had this one in my radar, Rosie!

Would The Show of Shows count? I believe it was mostly shot in Technicolor but some of it was black and white. I've ever only really seen the Myrna Loy segment and I don't think the color print as a whole survives at all but I could be wrong. A very interesting "little" revue nontheless! 

Yes, The Show of Shows would could as number ten.

11. What a Way to Go! from 1964. Shirley MacLaine plays a woman who has lost four husbands due to unpredictable deaths. She recounts each marriage to a psychoanalyst, comparing each one to a different type of film. The first marriage is a wonderful old silent movie, the second is a dirty French movie, the third is a lavish Hollywood production with expensive costumes, and the fourth is an extravagant musical! The first two marriages, as movies, are in black and white, but the rest of the film is in color.

Should we allow color films that contain black and white movies in them? I mean films that show the screening of black and white films, like Singing in the Rain. If someone agrees with this comment, I think we should.

I agree! That would open up the field quite a bit. I'm already running out of ideas.

This movie is lots of fun, and the different ways they portray her different marriages are all very clever. The marriage with Paul Newman portrayed as a naughty French film is hilarious. 

12. The Blue Bird (1940)- directed by Walter Lang.

A lavish Technicolor fantasy that begins in monochrome; 20th Century Fox's contender to  MGM's triumphant spectacular, Wizard of Oz (1939).

Starring the singing child star, Shirley Temple. Nominated for two Oscars(cinematography and special effects). Sadly it flopped at the box office.

Personally I love the film, it's a wonderful movie that conveys a message. I strongly recommend it.

The woodchopper's children Mytol (Shirley Temple) and Tyltyl  (Johnny Russell) embark on a magical journey to find the Blue Bird of Happiness.

RSS

TCM Blog

William Wyler’s Wuthering Heights (’39)

To view Wuthering Heights click here. Following the success of Dead End (written about here) in 1937, director William Wyler headed over to Warner Bros. to direct Jezebel (1938), a romantic drama set in the antebellum South, starring Bette Davis and Henry Fonda. The film was a critical and commercial success, and earned Davis her […]

“He Don’t Believe in Anything” – Mr. Freedom

To view Mr. Freedom click here. There’s a scene in Arthur Miller’s American Clock, a lesser known and not very successful later work of his, where a father and son go to a government office during the Depression to try and get the son a work voucher since the father won’t let him live at […]

Taking Issue with A Boy and His Dog (1975)

A guest post provided by former TCM intern, Alexandra Greenway. To view A Boy and His Dog click here. A Boy and His Dog follows 18-year-old Vic (Don Johnson) and his telepathic dog, Blood (voiced by Tim McIntire), as they scavenge for women in the dystopian Wild West in the year 2024. The film is […]

© 2017   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service