The Golden Age of Hollywood

UPDATE:

We've done many categories since this game started. I announce the current category in the game, but if you can't find the announcement, just ask any of the players.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's a game I play every chance I get with anyone who knows about movies. It's very simple: we pick a movie category and take turns naming titles of movies that fit in the category. For example, "films with a number in the title," or "films with hospital scenes" or "films with Joseph Cotten." I thought I'd see if anyone here wants to play.

Since there's no way of knowing how many people would want to join in, we can't take turns, so let's do it this way: only name one title at a time and wait for someone else to name one before you go again. The game ends when either we can't think of any more titles, or we reach 50 titles (because I know some people could go on and on way past the point where I would get bored with the category). So please mention the number we're on when you name a title.
It's no fair using IMDB or other sources, but if you run across a title by accident while the game is going on, it's fair to use it.
I'll start, and for the category I choose "films in which a fire occurs" (not a fire in the fireplace). The fire doesn't have to be depicted, just mentioned. This is a hard category for me, because it will mostly be composed of dramas, and I'm more into comedies, but here goes:

(WARNING: SPOILERS)
1. Rebecca

Views: 50282

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

30. Knute Rockne, All American - Pat O'Brien stars at Notre Dame football coach Knute Rockne. This is the movie that has Ronald Reagan's famous deathbed scene in which he says, "Win one for the Gipper."

31.  Remember the Titans  (2000)  

Based on actual events that took place in 1971, a white southern high school is integrated with black students from a nearby school. Both schools are recognized for their football programs which are now unified. The black coach is chosen to be the head coach of the integrated team, leaving the previous white head coach with feelings of animosity at having to be an assistant under a black man.

Great movie! A friend of mine who used to coach showed me this.

It is a great movie, isn't it!  

32. Golden Boy - This was one of William Holden's first movies and his first credited role. It's one that I have on DVD but have not yet watched. Holden plays Joe Bonaparte, a talented musician who wants to be a boxer. Barbara Stanwyck is the love interest who eggs him on. The plot thickens when she begins to have regrets. I should really watch this someday, if only to see William Holden as a very young man. I think of Holden as a star of the 50s, but this movie was made in 1939.

Would be so interesting to see 1939 William Holden, after seeing him in 1950 in Sunset Boulevard the other night.

He was a real looker, that's for sure! I read a biography on Holden last year. Very sad hearing how he drank himself to death. He was definitely a talented actor.

33.  The Blind Side (2009) Sandra Bullock, Quinton Aaron, Kathy Bates, Tim McGraw, Lily Collins.

Michael Oher (Quinton Aaron), a homeless black teen, has drifted in and out of the school system for years.

Then Leigh Anne Tuohy (Sandra Bullock) and her husband, Sean (Tim McGraw), take him in.

The Tuohys eventually become Michael's legal guardians, transforming both his life and theirs.

Michael's tremendous size and protective instincts make him a formidable force on the gridiron,

and with help from his new family and devoted tutor,

he realizes his potential as a student and football player.

34. Off Limits (1953) - Paramount comedy directed by George Marshall and starring Bob Hope, Mickey Rooney, Marilyn Maxwell.

Boxing promoter/manager and womanizer Wally Hogan (Bob Hope) is riding high when his protege fighter Bullet Bradley (Stanley Clements) wins the lightweight championship. 

However, prospects take a nosedive when the champ gets drafted. Through sheer desperation Wally decides he must keep a tight rein on the young fighter by enlisting himself, only finding the kid is later discharged as psychologically unfit. 

Whilst in the Army, Wally befriends a pint-sized youth, Herbert Tuttle (Mickey Rooney) who dreams of being a championship boxer. Wally hoodwinks him into thinking he is the genuine article, encouraging him although he knows he has limited potential, while in reality the charlatan is attracted to a glamorous night club singer, who happens to be the youngster's aunt, Connie Curtis (Marilyn Maxwell).

This enjoyable comedy is a typical vehicle for Bob Hope's wise cracking rapid style delivery, he even gets the usual trademark Bing Crosby gag in as well.

Surprisingly, I have only seen this one recently. If you enjoy Bob Hope movies, as I do. It's posted on YouTube.

RSS

Groups

TCM Blog

A Far From Perfect Understanding (1933)

To view Perfect Understanding click here. In 1929, after a successful career in silent film and at the height of her popularity, Gloria Swanson was preparing for her transition to “talkies,” the earliest, raw experiments in bringing sound to motion pictures. Her sound debut was in the 1929 drama written and directed by Edmund Goulding, The […]

Werner Herzog and the Burden of Dreams (1982)

To view Burden of Dreams click here. “If I abandon this project I would be a man without dreams and I don’t want to live like that. I live my life or I end my life with this project.” That’s how Werner Herzog responded to his investors in Germany asking him if he had the will […]

The Living and the Dead: L’Eclisse (1962)

To view L’Eclisse click here. FilmStruck is currently streaming 11 films featuring Alain Delon as part of their “Icons: Alain Delon” theme and for the next 4 weeks I’ll be spotlighting a few of my favorite titles in this collection. To learn more about the French actor please see a previous post I wrote in 2010 […]

© 2017   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service