The Golden Age of Hollywood

UPDATE:

We've done many categories since this game started. I announce the current category in the game, but if you can't find the announcement, just ask any of the players.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's a game I play every chance I get with anyone who knows about movies. It's very simple: we pick a movie category and take turns naming titles of movies that fit in the category. For example, "films with a number in the title," or "films with hospital scenes" or "films with Joseph Cotten." I thought I'd see if anyone here wants to play.

Since there's no way of knowing how many people would want to join in, we can't take turns, so let's do it this way: only name one title at a time and wait for someone else to name one before you go again. The game ends when either we can't think of any more titles, or we reach 50 titles (because I know some people could go on and on way past the point where I would get bored with the category). So please mention the number we're on when you name a title.
It's no fair using IMDB or other sources, but if you run across a title by accident while the game is going on, it's fair to use it.
I'll start, and for the category I choose "films in which a fire occurs" (not a fire in the fireplace). The fire doesn't have to be depicted, just mentioned. This is a hard category for me, because it will mostly be composed of dramas, and I'm more into comedies, but here goes:

(WARNING: SPOILERS)
1. Rebecca

Views: 51111

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You look to have followed the rules 'to a T' Lol. Enjoy. Great to see you here, Kate. :D

Hi, Kate! Welcome to the game! I hope you'll become as hooked on it as I have. Great entry!

46. Spring Fever (1927) Joan Crawford, William Haines
Impoverished shipping clerk Jack Kelly (William Haines) is a natural golfer. Jack's boss (George Fawcett) invites him to his country club so he can teach Jack how to play golf. Jack's skills on the course attract a bevy of onlookers, including the beautiful heiress Allie Monte (Joan Crawford). Jack tells her he's a millionaire, and they begin a romance and get married. But, when she finds out he's poor, she leaves him. Jack's only chance to win her back is a golf tournament.

47. Kid Galahad {1937) - definitive Warner Bros gangster/boxing movie directed by Michael Curtiz and starring Edward G. Robinson, Bette Davis, Humphrey Bogart, Wayne Morris, Jane Bryant.

When tough guy fight promoter Nick Donati  (Edward G. Robinson} is duped by his nemesis Turkey Morgan (Humphrey Bogart) over a fixed match, Nick and his moll, Fluff  (Bette Davis) throw a lavish party on proceeds they had remaining before they search for a new boxer.

While the party is in full swing, Morgan and his two boxing sidekicks gatecrash the shindig and start to intimidate a bashful hotel bellhop. Nick's girlfriend, Fluff shows sympathy for the youth by speaking up for him. The thugs retaliate by roughing up Fluff. The young rustic bellhop Ward Guisenberry. (Wayne Morris) comes to her rescue knocking out Morgan's new heavyweight prospect, Chuck McGraw. Nick is so impressed with the bellhop, he persuades him to take up boxing. Fluff immediately takes a shine to the modest athletic young man, and goes sweet on him, naming him appropriately, Kid Galahad. The young fighter proves to be a capable contender winning bouts by knockout. In essence, Kid Galahad had become Nick Donati's meal ticket.

However, relationships begin to turn sour when the fighter falls for Nick's kid sister, Marie (Jane Bryant). As a consequence, her protective brother turns hostile towards the young man.

Elvis Presley starred in the musical version of the film with Gig Young and Lola Albright in 1962. Ironically, in my opinion, that is the movie most people of recent generations remember.

Hands down, I prefer the Warner Brothers Robinson/Davis/Bogart blockbuster.

Your knowledge is priceless, John! Thank you for your entry and the detailed description!

Fantastic entry.  Thanks John!  

RSS

TCM Blog

William Wyler’s Wuthering Heights (’39)

To view Wuthering Heights click here. Following the success of Dead End (written about here) in 1937, director William Wyler headed over to Warner Bros. to direct Jezebel (1938), a romantic drama set in the antebellum South, starring Bette Davis and Henry Fonda. The film was a critical and commercial success, and earned Davis her […]

“He Don’t Believe in Anything” – Mr. Freedom

To view Mr. Freedom click here. There’s a scene in Arthur Miller’s American Clock, a lesser known and not very successful later work of his, where a father and son go to a government office during the Depression to try and get the son a work voucher since the father won’t let him live at […]

Taking Issue with A Boy and His Dog (1975)

A guest post provided by former TCM intern, Alexandra Greenway. To view A Boy and His Dog click here. A Boy and His Dog follows 18-year-old Vic (Don Johnson) and his telepathic dog, Blood (voiced by Tim McIntire), as they scavenge for women in the dystopian Wild West in the year 2024. The film is […]

© 2017   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service