The Golden Age of Hollywood

UPDATE:

We've done many categories since this game started. I announce the current category in the game, but if you can't find the announcement, just ask any of the players.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's a game I play every chance I get with anyone who knows about movies. It's very simple: we pick a movie category and take turns naming titles of movies that fit in the category. For example, "films with a number in the title," or "films with hospital scenes" or "films with Joseph Cotten." I thought I'd see if anyone here wants to play.

Since there's no way of knowing how many people would want to join in, we can't take turns, so let's do it this way: only name one title at a time and wait for someone else to name one before you go again. The game ends when either we can't think of any more titles, or we reach 50 titles (because I know some people could go on and on way past the point where I would get bored with the category). So please mention the number we're on when you name a title.
It's no fair using IMDB or other sources, but if you run across a title by accident while the game is going on, it's fair to use it.
I'll start, and for the category I choose "films in which a fire occurs" (not a fire in the fireplace). The fire doesn't have to be depicted, just mentioned. This is a hard category for me, because it will mostly be composed of dramas, and I'm more into comedies, but here goes:

(WARNING: SPOILERS)
1. Rebecca

Views: 50282

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looks like a fun movie!

This really looks fun! I had never even heard of it. Thanks, John!

35.  West Point (1930) William Haines and Joan Crawford

A football player (William Haines) falls for a woman (Joan Crawford) and leads Army against Navy in their annual game.

36. Field of Dreams

Good one, Midge. Welcome to The Game. Great to see you! :D
37. The Bad News Bears (1976) Walter Matthau, Tatum O'Neal
Bad News Bears is an American sports comedy film directed by Michael Ritchie.

38. Rhubarb (1951) It's been a few years since I've been an active member on GAOH and this game, but I'm hoping to get more involved. Here's an entry for this game. This is a baseball movie about a cat who inherits a baseball team. It stars Ray Milland. 

Image result for rhubarb movie

Hey Erin! When I saw the name Erin Shaffer, I thought, "Is that THE Erin that used to hang around here?" I'm so glad to see you back! I had heard of the movie "Rhubarb" and knew it was about a cat, but I didn't know Ray Milland was in it. Another one I have to see. Have you seen it?

I have it on DVD! It's a fun one for sure! It's kind of like It Happens Every Spring and Angels in the Outfield. It has that same light-hearted feel to it. Definitely look it up! 

I wondered if it was THE Erin too.  Hi Erin!  How are you?  Long time.  Great you're back!

RSS

Groups

TCM Blog

A Far From Perfect Understanding (1933)

To view Perfect Understanding click here. In 1929, after a successful career in silent film and at the height of her popularity, Gloria Swanson was preparing for her transition to “talkies,” the earliest, raw experiments in bringing sound to motion pictures. Her sound debut was in the 1929 drama written and directed by Edmund Goulding, The […]

Werner Herzog and the Burden of Dreams (1982)

To view Burden of Dreams click here. “If I abandon this project I would be a man without dreams and I don’t want to live like that. I live my life or I end my life with this project.” That’s how Werner Herzog responded to his investors in Germany asking him if he had the will […]

The Living and the Dead: L’Eclisse (1962)

To view L’Eclisse click here. FilmStruck is currently streaming 11 films featuring Alain Delon as part of their “Icons: Alain Delon” theme and for the next 4 weeks I’ll be spotlighting a few of my favorite titles in this collection. To learn more about the French actor please see a previous post I wrote in 2010 […]

© 2017   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service