The Golden Age of Hollywood

The Hollywood Studios House Style in the Golden Age of the Movies By Ethan Mordden. 
It is a survey of studio in the 1920s, 30s and 40s. I think it was originally published in 1988 but I can't find it anywhere.

Views: 37

Replies to This Discussion

That's very interesting. Was the instability down to the management? Maybe Adolph Zukor wasn't as "effective" as Louis B. Mayer (MGM), Darryl F. Zanuck (Fox) or Jack L. Warner...
I don't know if I'd quite agree Paramount was the most unstable of the studios. Yes it was close to bankruptcy in 1932 but the only studio that didn't lose money during the Depression was MGM. Not sure when Paramount became solvent but I think it was pretty safe after Mae West saved the studio at least till the TV era anyway. I think RKO was the most unstable of the five majors simply because it was the smallest and the management changed continually. They were losing money in 1932 and I don't think the books were properly balanced till the end of the decade.

Getting back to The Hollywood Studios by Ethan Morden I have this book and its very good. The only thing I would say is its more a critical survey than a history which is no bad thing I'd like to see more books that look at the various studios strengths and weaknesses. I think this is a neglected area of study of classic Hollywood.

I love the studio history books : The Paramount Story, The MGM Story etc they are great for detailed info about the studios, the basics of how they came about, the men behind them but I love them most probably because they are just wonderful to browse through.

If you are really interested in the history of the studios from a wider perspective and want to get a sense of how the system operated I would recommend Thomas Schatz's The Genius of the System which focuses on a big major MGM, a smaller major Warners, a minor studio Universal and the career of independent producer David O' Selznick to show how things worked in classic Hollywood under different circumstances. Other good books I've read about the studios include Joel W Finler's The Hollywood Story and Ronald Davis' The Glamour Factory which is more an anecdotal history.
Hi

That's a really detailed and useful reply. Thank you! I'm now reading Morden's book and, so far, I am enjoying it. I'm fascinated by studio history so I've added your recommendations to my Amazon wishlist. I chose to start with Morden's book as it seemed pretty comprehensive. The reviews I've read tend to be mixed but I still needed somewhere to start.

RSS

Latest Activity

Groups

TCM Blog

StreamLine Has Moved to Tumblr!

On November 1, 2017 FilmStruck’s blog, StreamLine, moved to Tumblr. This archive will remain active for anyone looking to access older content, but going forward our daily posts dedicated to cinema will appear on FilmStruck’s Tumblr page. See the the link below to be redirected to our new location. http://filmstruck.tumblr.com/tagged/streamline-blog  

Affairs of the Heart: The Wedding Night (1935)

To view The Wedding Night click here. The Wedding Night was doomed from the start. It was producer Samuel Goldwyn’s final attempt at making the Ukrainian actress Anna Sten into a Garbo-level star, and his persistence had become something of a Hollywood joke. The Wedding Night became known around town as “Goldwyn’s Last Sten,” but […]

Murnau and the Phantoms of Germany

To view Phantom click here. It’s that time of year when Nosferatu (1922), F.W. Murnau’s interpretation of Dracula, appears on lists of recommended horror films. The oldest, existing film version of Bram Stoker’s novel, Nosferatu is likely Murnau’s most watched title. It’s eerie Expressionist style was a major influence on the American horror genre, but […]

© 2019   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service