The Golden Age of Hollywood

A powerhouse packed into a 4' 11" frame, Judy Garland shot to stardom at 17 with "The Wizard of Oz". She and Mickey Rooney went on to star in 9 movies aimed at teen audience. The cute little girl in this video is her daughter Liza Minnelli. Ms. Garland's tumultuous life with drugs is well documented, and at the age of 47 she died of drug overdose. The soundtrack, "You Go To My Head" by Judy Garland, is a live recording at Carnegie Hall in 1961.

NOTE: Since it's a live recording, if you listen closely, Ms. Garland forgot the lyrics about 57 seconds into the video, and, in a hilarious ad-lib, sang "with...and I forgot the god-darn words...(garbled)." The actual lyrics, which she later remembered, are "with a smile that makes my temperature rise, like a summer with a thousand Julys."

Views: 6

Replies to This Discussion

Derek,
I really enjoyed this.I hate that Judy made so many happy and yet she could not be.I've always felt sad knowing she suffered so much.But at least we have her best moments and she will always live on in our hearts.
She's amazing! And the way she forgets the words and keeps on going shows how spectacular she was! I've always wished I could go back in time and become a stage-hand or something so I could go up to her and say "Don't let 'em get you down, Judy". haha. I'm probably the only weirdo who wishes something like that for themselves d:)
No, far from it! Just last evening I made a comment that if I could go back in time I'd love to go back to 23 April, 1961 just to be in the audience of her Carnegie Hall concert!

RSS

TCM Blog

StreamLine Has Moved to Tumblr!

On November 1, 2017 FilmStruck’s blog, StreamLine, moved to Tumblr. This archive will remain active for anyone looking to access older content, but going forward our daily posts dedicated to cinema will appear on FilmStruck’s Tumblr page. See the the link below to be redirected to our new location. http://filmstruck.tumblr.com/tagged/streamline-blog  

Affairs of the Heart: The Wedding Night (1935)

To view The Wedding Night click here. The Wedding Night was doomed from the start. It was producer Samuel Goldwyn’s final attempt at making the Ukrainian actress Anna Sten into a Garbo-level star, and his persistence had become something of a Hollywood joke. The Wedding Night became known around town as “Goldwyn’s Last Sten,” but […]

Murnau and the Phantoms of Germany

To view Phantom click here. It’s that time of year when Nosferatu (1922), F.W. Murnau’s interpretation of Dracula, appears on lists of recommended horror films. The oldest, existing film version of Bram Stoker’s novel, Nosferatu is likely Murnau’s most watched title. It’s eerie Expressionist style was a major influence on the American horror genre, but […]

© 2018   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service