The Golden Age of Hollywood

This quarter's issue of Films of the Golden Age is now available at your local newsstand. There's an interesting editorial by Bob King on Turner Classic Movie Channel's new HD channel and the high quality image of some of the films they are showing. Makes me almost want to subscribe to cable again just to see that!

Also an excellent article on Mari Blanchard who made her film debut in Copacabana with Groucho Marx and Carmen Miranda. Playing the Femme Fatale was her specialty though and with looks like this you can see why!

There's also a fine article about the RKO Pictures director William Wyler's film The Little Foxes starring Bette Davis. As fine a film as The Little Foxes is it was nominated for nine academy awards but didn't win a single one. 

Check out the poster says "NOT SUITABLE FOR GENERAL EXHIBITION"! 

The Forgotten Faces feature this issue has articles about Marjorie Riordan, Richard Allan, Lee Bonnell, John Archer, Mary Lee, and Wanda Hendrix.

Also in this issue you will find an excellent article about one of the pioneers of aviation films William A. Wellman. He directed such fabulous films such as Wings, Central Airport, Men With Wings, Call of the Wild, Thunder Birds etc.

Plus lots more goodies! If you don't subscribe to Films of the Golden Age and are a fan of classic films then you are missing a whole lot of well written and interesting articles. 

Their official website can be found here:

http://www.filmsofthegoldenage.com/

**Disclaimer**

I do not own or work for the magazine nor do I profit in any way from posting about it. I am just doing this as a public service to the community and will be doing so from now on as each issue is released. - Kevin

Views: 15

TCM Blog

StreamLine Has Moved to Tumblr!

On November 1, 2017 FilmStruck’s blog, StreamLine, moved to Tumblr. This archive will remain active for anyone looking to access older content, but going forward our daily posts dedicated to cinema will appear on FilmStruck’s Tumblr page. See the the link below to be redirected to our new location. http://filmstruck.tumblr.com/tagged/streamline-blog  

Affairs of the Heart: The Wedding Night (1935)

To view The Wedding Night click here. The Wedding Night was doomed from the start. It was producer Samuel Goldwyn’s final attempt at making the Ukrainian actress Anna Sten into a Garbo-level star, and his persistence had become something of a Hollywood joke. The Wedding Night became known around town as “Goldwyn’s Last Sten,” but […]

Murnau and the Phantoms of Germany

To view Phantom click here. It’s that time of year when Nosferatu (1922), F.W. Murnau’s interpretation of Dracula, appears on lists of recommended horror films. The oldest, existing film version of Bram Stoker’s novel, Nosferatu is likely Murnau’s most watched title. It’s eerie Expressionist style was a major influence on the American horror genre, but […]

© 2018   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service