The Golden Age of Hollywood

Humphrey Bogart

Those two were the biggest actors at the time. I'm surprised they never acted together in at least one film.

Views: 0

Replies to This Discussion

It's har to picture them together, though... When they played the gangster movies they often had the same type of role, even though Bogart often was of a more villainous typ and Gable was the charming "Blackie" (didn't he play a character named that twice?) who only had taken "the wrong way" in life. Two characters like that would perhaps be too much in the same movie.

Any ideas of what their characters would be like? Would they be friends or enemies? Mentor/disciple relationship?

Could they play Plato and Aristotele?
I agree with Humphrey Bogart. Him and Clark together would have been amazing. Cary Grant as well. I could see them doing a light comedy picture.

However, the person that I would've most loved to see him with is actually a woman and that is Katharine Hepburn. Hepburn, Gable and Tracy. That would have been a fantastic movie. I can't remember which Hepburn movie it was but I read that she honestly tried to get all three of them to do a certain picture together, I believe it was a comedy but either they were busy or the studios wouldn't let them and so instead I think it was like her and Cary Grant and someone else. I just think that the triangle between those three would have been so much fun.
Melissa--if Katharine Hepburn had had her way, you would have seen Clark and Spencer opposite her in The Philadelphia Story. Clark was given the script and declared it "too wordy" and said "other than pushing the dame down, I don't have anything much to do". Cary Grant was given the part. Spencer was unavailable so the part was given to Jimmy Stewart. Not bad replacements, anyway! But I too would have liked to see him opposite Hepburn and I think that he would have been fantastic in that role.

I always wished Clark had done a romantic comedy with Ginger Rogers. I think they would have played off each other nicely. They did one radio show together and it is so adorable.

Also wish he could have been in a comedy with the delightful Irene Dunne.

In the early 1930's I would have liked to see him in a pre-code with Kay Francis.

And I wish him and buddy Robert Taylor could have starred in something together too.
John Huston originally wanted to co-star Bogart & Gable in THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING.

RSS

TCM Blog

StreamLine Has Moved to Tumblr!

On November 1, 2017 FilmStruck’s blog, StreamLine, moved to Tumblr. This archive will remain active for anyone looking to access older content, but going forward our daily posts dedicated to cinema will appear on FilmStruck’s Tumblr page. See the the link below to be redirected to our new location. http://filmstruck.tumblr.com/tagged/streamline-blog  

Affairs of the Heart: The Wedding Night (1935)

To view The Wedding Night click here. The Wedding Night was doomed from the start. It was producer Samuel Goldwyn’s final attempt at making the Ukrainian actress Anna Sten into a Garbo-level star, and his persistence had become something of a Hollywood joke. The Wedding Night became known around town as “Goldwyn’s Last Sten,” but […]

Murnau and the Phantoms of Germany

To view Phantom click here. It’s that time of year when Nosferatu (1922), F.W. Murnau’s interpretation of Dracula, appears on lists of recommended horror films. The oldest, existing film version of Bram Stoker’s novel, Nosferatu is likely Murnau’s most watched title. It’s eerie Expressionist style was a major influence on the American horror genre, but […]

© 2018   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service