The Golden Age of Hollywood

So, come on, what'll it be? I vote for Notorious and His Girl Friday.

Views: 16

Replies to This Discussion

I love many of his films.
Some of my favs are:
Notorious
Destination Tokyo
I was a male war bride
Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House
The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer
The Eagle and the Hawk
Wings in the Dark
Sylvia Scarlett
Gunga Din
Amazing Adventure.
Bringing up Baby

Cary Grant is one of my top favorite stars. I fell in love with him from watching Bringing up Baby.
Thanks for starting this group!!!!
I got into cary Grant because of The Philadelphia Story and Bringing Up Baby. Some of my other favourites are:
The Awful Truth
North by Northwest
Notorious
An Affair To Remember
Charade
Arsenic And Old Lace
His Girl friday
Only Angels Have Wings
Holiday.
I should've known that we'd have the same answers...Even though Cary isn't on-screen for a good portion of His Girl Friday, he steals every moment he's in and has a lot of fun ad-libbing (he was a brilliant improvisor). I just watched Notorious again today with a friend who hadn't seen it and it was so refreshing to see Cary play a character who is so cool and almost stiff, too proud to tell Alicia that he loves her. We don't know very much about Devlin, but Cary lets us see the wounded pride and a vulnerability that is barely visible to the naked eye. One thing that helps elevate these two films to my Top 5 list is that his two leading ladies (Roz Russell and Ingrid Bergman) are I believe two of the best he ever worked with (though my love goes to Deborah Kerr, Irene Dunne, Jean Arthur, Grace Kelly and the Hepburns).

Another film and performance that I love is Only Angels Have Wings, Grant's first real drama and an underrated inclusion to the 1939 canon. Some have labeled Cary Grant as miscast as a mail flyer in the Andes, and while it is true that someone like John Wayne would have been better suited for the role, Cary makes it his own and he gives a great performance. It was like practice for the role he would play in Notorious, as both are stoic, hard men who fall for a woman but can't bring themselves to admit it...until the very end. I love this movie because it's like a male chick flick, but with a heart to it. Howard Hawks said in interviews that the story was a personal one, as he was friends with flyers and knew the lifestyle like the back of his hand, and the admiration and honor he gives to these professionals is the beating heart of the film. And the almost screwball romance between Jean Arthur as a showgirl passing through and Grant is wonderful (both actors were probably among the top tier screwball comedy stars of their time).

Oh, and for all those who say that Cary Grant looked more comfortable in a tux, I dare you all not to swoon over this photo...

I also love...
Holiday
The Awful Truth
Charade
An Affair to Remember
---or , at least the first half; the film kinda falls apart after he and Deborah Kerr part ways, but their chemistry holds it together. And that last scene is so powerful on Cary's part.
Bringing Up Baby
The Philadelphia Story
People Will Talk
Penny Serenade
--it's one of those overblown melodramas that gets saved by great acting
Indiscreet--there's really no plot, but if you're going to have two people galavanting around London in beautiful clothes, you'd better get Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman.
Had to comment on Only Angels Have Wings, one of my favorite films. One of the things I love about it is its great atmosphere of camaraderie in an exotic setting (I sometimes refer to it as "Casablanca without any bad guys"). I could watch it over and over just for that atmosphere. One of my favorite scenes is the one outside the bar/general store when Jean Arthur is sorry she got so emotional about the death of a flier she hardly knew, and is asking Victor Kilian and Thomas Mitchell why fliers fly: "What is it about it that gets 'em?" That whole scene is so beautifully acted and directed, it just flows naturally from one second to the next. I've watched it many times, savoring this. This scene by itself made me a fan of Victor Kilian (whom I had never really noticed before) and of Howard Hawks. There's also great music in this. That guitarist/singer credited as "Maciste" - WHO IS HE? Does anyone know anything about him? He's great!
To me Only Angels Have Wings, despite its flaws, has everything missing from action/adventure films today: respect for its characters, admiration for their profession(alism), genuine comedy, great moments of male friendship, and an honest look at death and love. My favorite moment is the sequence of Bonnie reacting overemotionally to a pilot's death, realizing why the flyers have a stoic outer crust, and becoming one of them by joining in their rendition of "The Peanut Vendor."

Also, I believe that this film is often credited with inspiring some elements of Casablanca, especially the atmosphere and plot of a lost love re-entering the anti-hero's life. Howard Hawks was also supposed to direct Casablanca and it's never been stated just how much he put into the production, but its influence is undeniable.
I didn't know that about Casablanca, but I've always thought that if I could choose a different director to do Casablanca, I would pick Howard Hawks, on the basis of Only Angels Have Wings. Both films seemed to be produced from the same shopping list: exotic setting, smoky cafe, piano player, heroism, romance. The formula was widely used, but OAHW and Casablanca are really standouts. I can't believe I forgot to mention Only Angels Have Wings when I listed my favorite Cary Grant performances, because this film is in my top 10, along with Casablanca.
Another film that refers to OAHW is Hawks' To Have and Have Not, specifically, the line, "I'm hard to get. All you have to do is ask." This line is more strongly identified with Lauren Bacall than with Jean Arthur for some reason, even though Jean said it first. Hawks must have liked that line.
Only Angels Have Wings is going to be shown next week on BBC2 (April 16)! Our TV guide chose it as the Film of the Day.
Yes, picking one movie is pretty impossible here. Isn't Cary Grant just the best?
My fav is him with Mae West in I'm No Angel.She totally shows his strong points and it was one of his first movies.He was so fresh looking and young.Oh Mr.Grant!
My favorite Cary Grant movie is probably His Girl Friday, but my favorite performance is another matter. I love I'm No Angel, but he didn't have much scope there; it was Mae West's party. I love Charade but thought he was a bit stiff in that. Holiday is another favorite film of mine. But for his most memorable performance, I guess I would have to pick two films: Arsenic and Old Lace, and Penny Serenade. In both of them he really let himself go, though in totally opposite directions. I've heard he thought he perhaps overdid it in Arsenic and Old Lace, and that his personal favorite was None But the Lonely Heart. I haven't seen that all the way through, so I can't choose it. I know his role in North by Northwest was also a very important one for his career, and certainly showed him as a sophisticated hero, almost a James Bond-type. But he was really a knight-in-shining-armor for the ladies, too, and I think that aspect of his persona was highlighted especially well in People Will Talk. But I digress. Sorry to blab on and on. Okay, here goes:
Arsenic and Old Lace! (But His Girl Friday is still my favorite Cary Grant film.)
I LOVE The Awful Truth. I think he's at his best in this performance. Of course, pretty much everything he is in is awesome! You don't get much better than him.
I'm new to the group, but here's my two cents: my two favorite Cary Grant performances are as Johnny in Holiday and as Joe the boss gambler in Mr. Lucky.
By the way, I recently made a tribute video to my favorite actor of all time. I uploaded it here, but it's also on YouTube:
Feel free to leave comments.

RSS

TCM Blog

StreamLine Has Moved to Tumblr!

On November 1, 2017 FilmStruck’s blog, StreamLine, moved to Tumblr. This archive will remain active for anyone looking to access older content, but going forward our daily posts dedicated to cinema will appear on FilmStruck’s Tumblr page. See the the link below to be redirected to our new location. http://filmstruck.tumblr.com/tagged/streamline-blog  

Affairs of the Heart: The Wedding Night (1935)

To view The Wedding Night click here. The Wedding Night was doomed from the start. It was producer Samuel Goldwyn’s final attempt at making the Ukrainian actress Anna Sten into a Garbo-level star, and his persistence had become something of a Hollywood joke. The Wedding Night became known around town as “Goldwyn’s Last Sten,” but […]

Murnau and the Phantoms of Germany

To view Phantom click here. It’s that time of year when Nosferatu (1922), F.W. Murnau’s interpretation of Dracula, appears on lists of recommended horror films. The oldest, existing film version of Bram Stoker’s novel, Nosferatu is likely Murnau’s most watched title. It’s eerie Expressionist style was a major influence on the American horror genre, but […]

© 2017   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service