The Golden Age of Hollywood

A companion thread to my "What's the Last DVD You Purchased?" thread. I thought it might be fun to discuss what we all are watching or have recently watched. Below will be my first post in this thread.

Kevin

Views: 1130

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Trying to watch The Sin of Madelon Claudet (1931)  Helen Hayes, Lewis Stone that I recorded from TCM.  Have only watched the beginning, but I'm in.  :D

Just finished Von Ryan's Express.

First off, I never even knew of this Frank Sinatra film until very recently. Previously I have been more familiar with the roles Old Blue Eyes played earlier in his career and in his musicals. Films like On The Town, Take Me Out To The Ball Game and High Society. But in this 1965 movie Sinatra got to show off his dramatic talent as the American flyer whose plane crashes in war torn Italy. He is taken prisoner, freed, captured by the Germans and then engineers the daring escape of several hundred fellow prisoners, ultimately stealing a train and heading for the border of neutral Switzerland.

A great film, it was something of a combination of The Great Escape and The Great Locomotive Chase. It had much the same feel of the first, but also the trains and the chase, as in latter. And like both, it shows what a group of determined men can accomplish when they work together to achieve a common goal. All three are wonderful films. Von Ryan's Express is a new favorite I'd recommend to anyone who likes...

Fill in the blank for yourself, this is a great film!

Sinatra was remembered mostly for his music, but he really was a very good actor, as this movie proves!

Just finished Season 1 of Police Story.  (Need to get 2-5)  Now I'm watching my Man from U.N.C.L.E. set and am in Season 2.

I have the first 5 seasons of the Andy Griffith Show, and I've been watching them over again. Right now, I'm on Season 2!

We love that show and finished watching the entire series less than a year ago and we still find ourselves flipping through channels and it's on MeTV and we stop to watch. Great show and timeless!

I know! No matter how many times you've seen the episodes, they never get old!

We've been watching sci-fi/horror films lately. I love old classic sci-fi and horror flicks. They might be cheesy at time but they can be a lot of fun.

First we watched "The Monster That Challenged The World" with Tim Holt and Audrey Dalton. Hans Conried also plays a role in it. Typical monster film about a creature who comes out of the deep and starts killing Navy men. I thought the giant crustacean was actually pretty cool looking and the underwater scenes were shot well. Fortunately for the world they were able to destroy the beast that was protecting her eggs and all the babies as well.

Second we watched "IT! Terror From Beyond Space". Basically an early version of "Alien". A crew isolated in space with an alien creature on board and some do not make it out alive. The space sequences I thought were exceptional for the time period. Quite a fun film!

Third, we watched "The 27th Day". I thought this story, although slow at times, still was rather suspenseful. Aliens abduct several people from various parts of the globe and are given eggs with pills inside that only they could open and use. They eggs if used could destroy all of humanity. The alien race in need of a new home are looking at Earth but their supposed more evolved morals won't allow them to invade and take Earth from the humans, so instead they give them devices that could allow the humans to destroy all human life on the planet and then they would take the planet. See, if the humans do it to themselves then it would be morally OK to take their world. It's title refers to the number of days the humans have to resist not using the eggs and if they got past the 27th day all humanity would be saved and the alien race would drift on past into extinction. I liked the film quite a lot.

Lastly "Gojira" aka Godzilla. Well, I thought I had seen the original first film of the Godzilla series but it turns out I had not. The original film is in Japanese with English subtitles and is quite different, in my opinion, from the Americanized version with Raymond Burr. In fact it is way better than the American version and is a true classic. When I say classic I do not mean of just the sci-fi genre but of films in general. The acting is superb! The special effects by today's standards are not the greatest but still way way cool. The story is also a very dark morality play about the dangers of atomic and nuclear power. The heart of the film is surprisingly NOT Godzilla, but the people the story revolves around. Absolutely one the best monster films ever and should be seen by every fan of classic films. Even if monster films are not your thing. I think you would be very moved by the film and come away with a new appreciation for Japanese film making of the 50s.

Kevin

I haven't really watched too many of the sci-fi/horror films...I know my sister really loves them though. I got her the Godzilla movie for her birthday one year because she was always talking about it.

A move I like that should count as a sci-fi, though, is Journey to the Center of the Earth...the original James Mason and Pat Boone version. I saw the trailer for the new one they came out with not too long ago, and could tell it didn't hold a candle.

I watched Sign of the Cross last night, which was good to see again after so many years.  I have that in the Cecil B DeMille Collection box set.  I've also seen Four Frightened People from it, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and still to see Cleopatra and The Crusades.  There's also Union Pacific which I think I've seen.  

Also watched Five Star Final, a 1931 movie starring Edward G Robinson and Marian Marsh, very dramatic!

Next up I'm hoping to watch Blackmail, a movie from my early Alfred Hitchcock box set which I've heard is very good, according to the The Australian Silent Movie society.

I just watched a sweet family story about a rich man (George Arliss) who pretends to be financially ruined to bring his family closer together. His family rallies loyally around him, as does his butler, who offers to lend him money. At the end, he is able to announce that he's not as ruined as he thought. And the family is definitely richer for the experience.

I loved the movie enough to look it up on Amazon. It's available in a 3-disc George Arliss set. It went right on my wish list. The name of the movie is "A Successful Calamity."

Someday I'll have to do a movie marathon of 1930s "riches to rags" stories with happy endings. It would include this one, The Amazing Adventure, His Double Life and Three-Cornered Moon.

Sounds great.  I know I've got a George Arliss movie recorded from TCM that I'm yet to see with a story where he he's rich and pretends he doesn't have his money anymore.  I'll have to check if this is the one you describe here Rosie.  I don't recall having that title.  Shall check.  Love those 1930s 'rags to riches' stories. 

RSS

TCM Blog

StreamLine Has Moved to Tumblr!

On November 1, 2017 FilmStruck’s blog, StreamLine, moved to Tumblr. This archive will remain active for anyone looking to access older content, but going forward our daily posts dedicated to cinema will appear on FilmStruck’s Tumblr page. See the the link below to be redirected to our new location. http://filmstruck.tumblr.com/tagged/streamline-blog  

Affairs of the Heart: The Wedding Night (1935)

To view The Wedding Night click here. The Wedding Night was doomed from the start. It was producer Samuel Goldwyn’s final attempt at making the Ukrainian actress Anna Sten into a Garbo-level star, and his persistence had become something of a Hollywood joke. The Wedding Night became known around town as “Goldwyn’s Last Sten,” but […]

Murnau and the Phantoms of Germany

To view Phantom click here. It’s that time of year when Nosferatu (1922), F.W. Murnau’s interpretation of Dracula, appears on lists of recommended horror films. The oldest, existing film version of Bram Stoker’s novel, Nosferatu is likely Murnau’s most watched title. It’s eerie Expressionist style was a major influence on the American horror genre, but […]

© 2017   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service