The Golden Age of Hollywood

A companion thread to my "What's the Last DVD You Purchased?" thread. I thought it might be fun to discuss what we all are watching or have recently watched. Below will be my first post in this thread.

Kevin

Views: 1238

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just watched I Met Him in Paris. It should really be called "I Met Them in Paris," because Claudette Colbert meets two men simultaneously in Paris (Melvyn Douglas and Robert Young), who become rivals for her attention. Very little of the story is even set in Paris, as the trio almost immediately decide to go to a winter sports resort in Switzerland together. Actually, the movie should probably have been called "They Took Her to Switzerland."

Now I'm watching Without Love (Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy).

Without Love is a grand movie. It's humorous, tender, and so delicate. Keenan Wynn is very funny in a supporting role.

I love the Hollywood fantasy world the characters live in. Katharine Hepburn has a full day, and when she decides to go to bed, there is a nice little fire burning in the fireplace in her bedroom. She takes off her elegant slippers and gets into bed. Later, she gets up to get some water (in a lovely crystal pitcher), and when she returns to bed, off come the elegant slippers again. At another point, she comes back from a buggy ride and just leaves the horse standing outside while she goes in to ask the cook where her husband is. When she hears she has been called out of town, she hurries to the train station without packing a bag. Presumably, the horse is still standing there. I wish I could live like that!

I was in the mood for Eve Arden, so I'm watching One Touch of Venus, in which she has a very amusing supporting role. This is a romantic comedy starring Ava Gardner as the goddess Venus and Robert Walker as a department store employee who has a very inconvenient encounter with her. Eve Arden plays the executive assistant to the store owner, and there is a romantic subplot involving them.

I watched The Sea of Grass today, one of the only two Hepburn-Tracy films I had never seen. It made me cry at the end. Now I've just finished watching Never Wave at a WAC. I had remembered it as more enjoyable than I found it this viewing. I'm trying to figure out what to watch next, or whether I should just go to bed.

I'm trying to decide what movie to put on. I'm in the mood for a comedy, but I don't want one that's too silly. I want something with heart.

I miss my GAOH friends!

Did you decide? I missed this too but I've been so busy! How about Holiday? It's one of my favorites and does have some good heart. Yes, I feel like rewatching it right now!

Holiday is a wonderful film. It's my favorite of the four Hepburn-Grant pairings and one of my three or four favorite Hepburn films. I first saw it in the theater, oddly enough. This was before my classic film obsession took hold of me, and it's one of the factors that drew me in that direction. It was a wonderful experience seeing this movie on the big screen with friends. I love the scene in the playroom where the characters are acting like kids. This pointed out the difference between Grant's and Hepburn's characters (and his friends Mr. and Mrs. Potter) and the rest of the Seton family, and gave a foreshadowing that Grant and Hepburn were meant to end up together.
I ended up watching a movie I borrowed from the library -- Chocolat. I enjoyed it, but it's not one I feel I need to own. There are so many newer films I haven't seen that I'd like to. I still haven't seen The Martian, The Black Swan, and countless others. Basically, if it came out after 2009 I probably haven't seen it. Not that I avoid newer movies, I just don't get to the theater that often, I don't have a movie channel, and I don't have Netflix.
I also borrowed The 100-Foot Journey, which is about two very different restaurants 100 feet apart from each other. It stars Helen Mirren. I'm looking forward to watching it.

I watched the 7 Faces of Dr. Lao with Tony Randall. It's a fantasy film by George Pal with a big heart. Randall is fabulous as he plays most of the characters in the film. It has a sweet and timeless message. If you're young or just young at heart I think you would enjoy this film.

I have this movie and love it! I love Randall's performance, too, and Barbara Eden is stunningly beautiful in it. I love the scene she does with the god Pan. Maybe I will rewatch this soon. It has been a while. Thanks for the recommendation, Kevin!

Love that film.  One of my favs.   I AM part of the circus of Dr Lao.  Always wanted to get a t-shirt with that on it.  Lol.

I enjoyed watching The Hundred-Foot Journey last night. It was much more romantic than I was expecting, and the cinematography was gorgeous. I'll have to look it up and see if it won anything for cinematography.

Now I have my nightly dilemma of wondering what to watch. I worked really hard today, so I feel I deserve to indulge myself now. It should be something a little obscure that I haven't seen in a while, or maybe even a non-comedy.

RSS

TCM Blog

StreamLine Has Moved to Tumblr!

On November 1, 2017 FilmStruck’s blog, StreamLine, moved to Tumblr. This archive will remain active for anyone looking to access older content, but going forward our daily posts dedicated to cinema will appear on FilmStruck’s Tumblr page. See the the link below to be redirected to our new location. http://filmstruck.tumblr.com/tagged/streamline-blog  

Affairs of the Heart: The Wedding Night (1935)

To view The Wedding Night click here. The Wedding Night was doomed from the start. It was producer Samuel Goldwyn’s final attempt at making the Ukrainian actress Anna Sten into a Garbo-level star, and his persistence had become something of a Hollywood joke. The Wedding Night became known around town as “Goldwyn’s Last Sten,” but […]

Murnau and the Phantoms of Germany

To view Phantom click here. It’s that time of year when Nosferatu (1922), F.W. Murnau’s interpretation of Dracula, appears on lists of recommended horror films. The oldest, existing film version of Bram Stoker’s novel, Nosferatu is likely Murnau’s most watched title. It’s eerie Expressionist style was a major influence on the American horror genre, but […]

© 2018   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service