The Golden Age of Hollywood

A companion thread to my "What's the Last DVD You Purchased?" thread. I thought it might be fun to discuss what we all are watching or have recently watched. Below will be my first post in this thread.

Kevin

Views: 1138

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tiffany, I don't know much about Lew Ayres, except that he was one of Ginger Rogers' husbands.  I'm not sure I have seen any of his films, even Johnny Belinda.  (Not a Jane Wyman fan, so I haven't been on a quest to watch that.)

What did you think of All Quiet on the Western Front?  Were you impressed by your guy's performance?

I recently was watching The Misfits from 1961. I vent with the character Roslyn very much! She is such an emotional character as am I.

It's a really good movie and I recommend it. :)

(At least I think so!)

Oh, yes, The Misfits is a really good movie, and it's also kind of heartbreaking.  For one thing, Clark Gable died before it was even released, so knowing it's his final film makes it very sad.  And then there's Montgomery Clift---he is one of my faves, and his post-accident appearance always breaks my heart.  Plus, I know from reading his biography that during the filming of The Misfits, he was in an overwhelming battle with drug addiction.  At that point in his life, he was a shell of the man he used to be. And it was also Marilyn Monroe's final film.   For those reasons, The Misfits is more than just an entertaining film to me---it's a goodbye film.  And goodbyes always make me cry.

I know! The fact that Marilyn and Clark passes shortly after this film makes it much more emotional!

I found The Misfits thought-provoking. The characters had many layers.

I just finished watching INHERIT THE WIND. A timeless story, and what a showcase for solid acting. Frederic March was great and Spencer Tracy was outstanding. Also, my son and I have been working our way through the CRIME DOES NOT PAY series. Some of them are like condensed gangster films: all the thrilling highlights, and no filler! Also, a delight to see so many familiar faces.

That is a great movie! I was surprised to see Gene Kelly in such a serious role as the cynical journalist.

I just watched I Met Him in Paris. It should really be called "I Met Them in Paris," because Claudette Colbert meets two men simultaneously in Paris (Melvyn Douglas and Robert Young), who become rivals for her attention. Very little of the story is even set in Paris, as the trio almost immediately decide to go to a winter sports resort in Switzerland together. Actually, the movie should probably have been called "They Took Her to Switzerland."

Now I'm watching Without Love (Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy).

Without Love is a grand movie. It's humorous, tender, and so delicate. Keenan Wynn is very funny in a supporting role.

I love the Hollywood fantasy world the characters live in. Katharine Hepburn has a full day, and when she decides to go to bed, there is a nice little fire burning in the fireplace in her bedroom. She takes off her elegant slippers and gets into bed. Later, she gets up to get some water (in a lovely crystal pitcher), and when she returns to bed, off come the elegant slippers again. At another point, she comes back from a buggy ride and just leaves the horse standing outside while she goes in to ask the cook where her husband is. When she hears she has been called out of town, she hurries to the train station without packing a bag. Presumably, the horse is still standing there. I wish I could live like that!

I was in the mood for Eve Arden, so I'm watching One Touch of Venus, in which she has a very amusing supporting role. This is a romantic comedy starring Ava Gardner as the goddess Venus and Robert Walker as a department store employee who has a very inconvenient encounter with her. Eve Arden plays the executive assistant to the store owner, and there is a romantic subplot involving them.

I watched The Sea of Grass today, one of the only two Hepburn-Tracy films I had never seen. It made me cry at the end. Now I've just finished watching Never Wave at a WAC. I had remembered it as more enjoyable than I found it this viewing. I'm trying to figure out what to watch next, or whether I should just go to bed.

RSS

TCM Blog

StreamLine Has Moved to Tumblr!

On November 1, 2017 FilmStruck’s blog, StreamLine, moved to Tumblr. This archive will remain active for anyone looking to access older content, but going forward our daily posts dedicated to cinema will appear on FilmStruck’s Tumblr page. See the the link below to be redirected to our new location. http://filmstruck.tumblr.com/tagged/streamline-blog  

Affairs of the Heart: The Wedding Night (1935)

To view The Wedding Night click here. The Wedding Night was doomed from the start. It was producer Samuel Goldwyn’s final attempt at making the Ukrainian actress Anna Sten into a Garbo-level star, and his persistence had become something of a Hollywood joke. The Wedding Night became known around town as “Goldwyn’s Last Sten,” but […]

Murnau and the Phantoms of Germany

To view Phantom click here. It’s that time of year when Nosferatu (1922), F.W. Murnau’s interpretation of Dracula, appears on lists of recommended horror films. The oldest, existing film version of Bram Stoker’s novel, Nosferatu is likely Murnau’s most watched title. It’s eerie Expressionist style was a major influence on the American horror genre, but […]

© 2017   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service