The Golden Age of Hollywood

A companion thread to my "What's the Last DVD You Purchased?" thread. I thought it might be fun to discuss what we all are watching or have recently watched. Below will be my first post in this thread.

Kevin

Views: 1233

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll stay away from Mississippi and probably go back to It's a Gift or something again if I'm feeling that W.C. urge! I'll definitely try to get a hold of Holy Matrimony I think, looks like a stellar cast all around.

I enjoyed Design for Living and can't believe I hadn't seen it before, as a fan of Lubitsch at least. In fact, I was partly convinced that I had right up until that first scene in the train which was great! The actors worked well together and it's fun to try to decide who's actually the leading man while I did feel that Miriam Hopkins ran away with the film. She's terrific and to be fair, it was a perfect part for her. I read that the Legion of Decency had all the sex and sting removed from the script even though it's pre-code but don't necessarily agree, it holds up well and is "suggestive" enough I thought!   

Currently watching The Lady Eve (1941) starring Henry Fonda and Barbara Stanwyck. This has to be one of the most entertaining screwball comedies! The dialogue is so clever and fast-paced. The supporting cast is top-notch as well. One of my favorites!

Erin, your post put me in the mood to watch another Barbara Stanwyck film I haven't seen in a long time: The Mad Miss Manton. It's a murder mystery-romantic comedy.

Actually, I think I should label The Mad Miss Manton a screwball murder mystery. By the way, it also co-stars Henry Fonda.

I remember that one! I haven't watched it in many years, but I remember it being pretty screwy.

I've watched two other Barbara Stanwyck screwball comedies recently: Ball of Fire (a really great one, costarring Gary Cooper) and Breakfast for Two, costarring Herbert Marshall.  I'm trying to figure out what to watch today.

That's very interesting. I have never seen "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre," but I am sure it is very interesting. I agree that the 1948 Academy Award for Best Actor didn't turn out as one might have hoped. Lew Ayres, my favorite actor, was nominated for Best Actor for the first and only time in his life that year for "Johnny Belinda." Humphrey Bogart wasn't even nominated. Then Laurence Olivier won for "Hamlett." I don't think that was fair; I think only British, completely self-regulated films should have been able to compete, not foreign films. I know it was the first time that a foreign film won Best Picture. I just think the Academy Awards should be strictly American.

I am going to watch "All Quiet on the Western Front" today for the first time. Although Lew Ayres is my favorite, I have avoided watching it because of the violence. However, since someone is breening it for my blogathon next weekend, I have to watch it. I am looking forward to seeing Mr. Ayres in his most famous performance!

I recently was watching The Misfits from 1961. I vent with the character Roslyn very much! She is such an emotional character as am I.

It's a really good movie and I recommend it. :)

(At least I think so!)

I know! The fact that Marilyn and Clark passes shortly after this film makes it much more emotional!

I found The Misfits thought-provoking. The characters had many layers.

I just finished watching INHERIT THE WIND. A timeless story, and what a showcase for solid acting. Frederic March was great and Spencer Tracy was outstanding. Also, my son and I have been working our way through the CRIME DOES NOT PAY series. Some of them are like condensed gangster films: all the thrilling highlights, and no filler! Also, a delight to see so many familiar faces.

That is a great movie! I was surprised to see Gene Kelly in such a serious role as the cynical journalist.

RSS

TCM Blog

StreamLine Has Moved to Tumblr!

On November 1, 2017 FilmStruck’s blog, StreamLine, moved to Tumblr. This archive will remain active for anyone looking to access older content, but going forward our daily posts dedicated to cinema will appear on FilmStruck’s Tumblr page. See the the link below to be redirected to our new location. http://filmstruck.tumblr.com/tagged/streamline-blog  

Affairs of the Heart: The Wedding Night (1935)

To view The Wedding Night click here. The Wedding Night was doomed from the start. It was producer Samuel Goldwyn’s final attempt at making the Ukrainian actress Anna Sten into a Garbo-level star, and his persistence had become something of a Hollywood joke. The Wedding Night became known around town as “Goldwyn’s Last Sten,” but […]

Murnau and the Phantoms of Germany

To view Phantom click here. It’s that time of year when Nosferatu (1922), F.W. Murnau’s interpretation of Dracula, appears on lists of recommended horror films. The oldest, existing film version of Bram Stoker’s novel, Nosferatu is likely Murnau’s most watched title. It’s eerie Expressionist style was a major influence on the American horror genre, but […]

© 2018   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service