The Golden Age of Hollywood

A companion thread to my "What's the Last DVD You Purchased?" thread. I thought it might be fun to discuss what we all are watching or have recently watched. Below will be my first post in this thread.

Kevin

Views: 953

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oops, darned auto-correct. That should be Sidney Blackmer.

Settling down with East Side of Heaven in the background while I try to get some work done. Bing Crosby and Joan Blondell. I don't think I've ever watched this before. I got it as part of the Bing Crosby Screen Legend set. It looks like it will be good.

The Little Princess. Very hard to resist in the end! Some great production values and Arthur Treacher always cracks me up. Not just for the Shirley - fans this one and I hope it gets properly restored in the future. Maybe it has already? 

I love both the book and the movie, even with the liberties they took with the plot.

I recently watched The Little Princess  myself. And now Arthur Treacher keeps popping up.

I'm watching Wise Girl. I watched it once or twice long ago, but I don't remember it very well. It stars Ray Milland and Miriam Hopkins. It's a cute romance about a rich society woman trying to find cause to take her late sister's children from their legal guardian. She ends up falling for the guardian.

Often while working I put a movie on in the background to make my work a little less boring. I just put in My Favorite Blonde, a spy comedy starring Madeleine Carroll and Bob Hope. So far we've had a mysterious transfer of some information aboard a ship in a foggy harbor. Outside the pier are some cars. You know that when you see Gale Sondergaard and George Zucco in a black car, some skullduggery is going to go on!

I purchased the DVD of "The Children's Hour" (1961) from a seller on ebay and was so pleased to be able to finally add it to my movie library.  Audrey Hepburn and Shirley MacLaine play as two close friends that are operating a private school for young girls.  One of the young girls is a spoiled rich kid that decides to tell a vicious lie on the two women and the aftermath destroys the women's lives.  While watching the movie I was thinking how mean spirited the young girl was in this and how well she played the part and then I recalled another favorite "mean kid" movie, "The Bad Seed" (1956) with Patty McCormack making her film debut as the little terror in braids.  The majority of the stage cast were brought to the screen version and it's very effective to have them playing their parts that they already know so well.  I already had "The Bad Seed" on DVD, but hadn't thought of watching it again until seeing "The Children's Hour."  I really enjoyed seeing each of these films again for they never fail to entertain. 

I have seen about the second half or more of The Children's Hour. Such a tragic ending. I haven't seen the original, We Three, starring Miriam Hopkins, or The Bad Seed. In that picture you posted, the "Bad Seed" does look evil!

We're having our daily afternoon thunderstorm. I'm trying to decide what movie to put in. The weather puts me in the mood for something cozy, but I haven't decided what yet.

I've been watching Wedding Present, starring Cary Grant and Joan Bennett.

Today I'm watching Pinup Girl, starring Betty Grable, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I so much want to be in this 1940s nightclub where Martha Raye is performing! This movie captures the cultural atmosphere of the 1940s (I think, because I never really experienced it). To me, it's almost like going back in time.

RSS

TCM Blog

One for all, and all for one!

To view The Three Musketeers click here. To view The Four Musketeers click here. Director Richard Lester was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania but he made some of the best British films of the 1960s. Inspired by Buster Keaton and Jacques Tati, he developed an acute funny bone and an appreciation of the absurd that allowed […]

Black Jesus (1968) Isn’t What You Think It Is

To view Black Jesus click here. I’d honestly be shocked if more than a handful of people around here have heard of Black Jesus (1968) before today. Barely released in American theaters by one-shot outfit Plaza Pictures and never given a legitimate home video release (ignore the bootleg DVDs), this is a rough, tough and […]

Summer Daze: Monsieur Hulot’s Holiday (1953)

To view Monsieur Hulot’s Holiday click here. The first screen appearance of Jacques Tati’s Hulot character is inside of a car: a clattering, jittering wreck making its way to a seaside hotel in Monsieur Hulot’s Holiday (1953). Tati cuts from the sound of a train horn to the pitter-putter of Hulot’s gasping car engine as it turns the corner […]

© 2017   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service