The Golden Age of Hollywood

A companion thread to my "What's the Last DVD You Purchased?" thread. I thought it might be fun to discuss what we all are watching or have recently watched. Below will be my first post in this thread.

Kevin

Views: 953

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Watching "Romance" (1930) starring Greta Garbo and Lewis Stone. Not in the mood to watch the hullabaloo of 'Oscars' 2017.

I'm impressed! I've never even heard of that film. Is that a talkie?

Speaking of the Oscars, I haven't seen any of the Best Picture winners for the last several years. More than several. I'm totally out of touch. But tonight a friend is bringing over The King's Speech, so I'll finally get to see that.

I'm in the midst of Kevin Brownlow's 'Hollywood.'  Marvelous series.

Is that a TV or movie series?

I started watching Meet the People, starring Lucille Ball and Dick Powell, but I got interrupted. I'll resume when I have more time. I think I'm going to like it.

I'm watching My Little Chickadee. I haven't seen it in probably at least 10 years, so it's almost like seeing it for the first time. I love Mae West.

Judge: Young woman, are you trying to show contempt for this court?

Mae: No, I'm doing my best to hide it.

Just watched Together Again, a romantic comedy starring Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer. It also has two of my favorite character actors in it, Charles Coburn and Elizabeth Patterson. It's not a great movie, but I watched it because I remembered it only vaguely. I got it as part of a boxed set, Icons of Screwball Comedy. There are still a few Irene Dunne comedies I've never seen and would like to get hold of.

Trying to pick something soothing to have on in the background while I work.

I haven't been watching many movies lately, but one I did see and loved was Hacksaw Ridge (2016). Probably one of the finest war films made in the last 20 years. It was quite a moving film. Well, worth your time if you can rent it or see it another way.

I'll keep that in mind. What I ended up watching today was quite different. It was Blithe Spirit, a comedy starring Rex Harrison, about the ghost of his ex-wife causing problems in his second marriage. All very, very British. The best character is the psychic played by Margaret Rutherford.

I'm watching A Lady Takes a Chance, starring Jean Arthur and John Wayne. The last movie I watched was Goodbye Love, starring Charlie Ruggles and Sidney Blacker.

I'd love to hear what other people are watching.

RSS

TCM Blog

One for all, and all for one!

To view The Three Musketeers click here. To view The Four Musketeers click here. Director Richard Lester was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania but he made some of the best British films of the 1960s. Inspired by Buster Keaton and Jacques Tati, he developed an acute funny bone and an appreciation of the absurd that allowed […]

Black Jesus (1968) Isn’t What You Think It Is

To view Black Jesus click here. I’d honestly be shocked if more than a handful of people around here have heard of Black Jesus (1968) before today. Barely released in American theaters by one-shot outfit Plaza Pictures and never given a legitimate home video release (ignore the bootleg DVDs), this is a rough, tough and […]

Summer Daze: Monsieur Hulot’s Holiday (1953)

To view Monsieur Hulot’s Holiday click here. The first screen appearance of Jacques Tati’s Hulot character is inside of a car: a clattering, jittering wreck making its way to a seaside hotel in Monsieur Hulot’s Holiday (1953). Tati cuts from the sound of a train horn to the pitter-putter of Hulot’s gasping car engine as it turns the corner […]

© 2017   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service