The Golden Age of Hollywood

A companion thread to my "What's the Last DVD You Purchased?" thread. I thought it might be fun to discuss what we all are watching or have recently watched. Below will be my first post in this thread.

Kevin

Views: 1233

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

(Auto-correct changed Mamoulian to Mammalian. I had to edit the comment.)

Watching "Romance" (1930) starring Greta Garbo and Lewis Stone. Not in the mood to watch the hullabaloo of 'Oscars' 2017.

I'm impressed! I've never even heard of that film. Is that a talkie?

Speaking of the Oscars, I haven't seen any of the Best Picture winners for the last several years. More than several. I'm totally out of touch. But tonight a friend is bringing over The King's Speech, so I'll finally get to see that.

I'm in the midst of Kevin Brownlow's 'Hollywood.'  Marvelous series.

Is that a TV or movie series?

I started watching Meet the People, starring Lucille Ball and Dick Powell, but I got interrupted. I'll resume when I have more time. I think I'm going to like it.

I'm watching My Little Chickadee. I haven't seen it in probably at least 10 years, so it's almost like seeing it for the first time. I love Mae West.

Judge: Young woman, are you trying to show contempt for this court?

Mae: No, I'm doing my best to hide it.

Just watched Together Again, a romantic comedy starring Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer. It also has two of my favorite character actors in it, Charles Coburn and Elizabeth Patterson. It's not a great movie, but I watched it because I remembered it only vaguely. I got it as part of a boxed set, Icons of Screwball Comedy. There are still a few Irene Dunne comedies I've never seen and would like to get hold of.

Trying to pick something soothing to have on in the background while I work.

I haven't been watching many movies lately, but one I did see and loved was Hacksaw Ridge (2016). Probably one of the finest war films made in the last 20 years. It was quite a moving film. Well, worth your time if you can rent it or see it another way.

I'll keep that in mind. What I ended up watching today was quite different. It was Blithe Spirit, a comedy starring Rex Harrison, about the ghost of his ex-wife causing problems in his second marriage. All very, very British. The best character is the psychic played by Margaret Rutherford.

RSS

TCM Blog

StreamLine Has Moved to Tumblr!

On November 1, 2017 FilmStruck’s blog, StreamLine, moved to Tumblr. This archive will remain active for anyone looking to access older content, but going forward our daily posts dedicated to cinema will appear on FilmStruck’s Tumblr page. See the the link below to be redirected to our new location. http://filmstruck.tumblr.com/tagged/streamline-blog  

Affairs of the Heart: The Wedding Night (1935)

To view The Wedding Night click here. The Wedding Night was doomed from the start. It was producer Samuel Goldwyn’s final attempt at making the Ukrainian actress Anna Sten into a Garbo-level star, and his persistence had become something of a Hollywood joke. The Wedding Night became known around town as “Goldwyn’s Last Sten,” but […]

Murnau and the Phantoms of Germany

To view Phantom click here. It’s that time of year when Nosferatu (1922), F.W. Murnau’s interpretation of Dracula, appears on lists of recommended horror films. The oldest, existing film version of Bram Stoker’s novel, Nosferatu is likely Murnau’s most watched title. It’s eerie Expressionist style was a major influence on the American horror genre, but […]

© 2018   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service