The Golden Age of Hollywood

With Kenneth More, Dana Wynta and a few other actors I'd never heard of I prepared to watch this film on my 17th Birthday. Okay so maybe I'd heard of Kenneth More (39 steps) but that was it i swear.

Reluctantly I played the DVD wishing my Birthday could be more exiting than eating ice cream at a cafe and watching a war movie. At the end of two hours however  I decided this was a damn good birthday, and all because of watching this film.

With a brilliant script, some truly superb pieces of acting (special note to the two actors mentioned above) I was captivated right from the start. It is  brilliantly, paced and presented without the exaggerations, inventions or epic dramas that are invested in many war films of today. I have mentioned on another thread how excellent the British are at putting together films which are neither saturated with patriotic rhetoric or impassioned speeches.

Kenneth More has to deal with some very emotional scenes - namely the possible loss of his son - which he does subtly but extremely touchingly. Less really is more.

Dana Wynta is excellent and more than once I laughed out loud as she proved how spunky she could be with Capt Shepard (More) during her initial disapproval at the coldness of some of his decisions which then gently slides into empathy and compassion.

Once or twice I found myself squealing "Nawwwwww!" when More or Wynta was showing a little compassion towards the other and although the romantic element is all very subltle (and by no means jepodizes the seriousness of the films subject matter) it is all very moving.

Just watch the moment when More realises she has decided to stay on at Naval Operations (rather than be transfered to America) just so that she may continue being a friend to him after he has, in a rare emotional moment confessed that his son is MIA.

Her perception of him changes completely in this scene as she realizes in a moment that he is not nearly as objective and impersonal as she first supposed. Understanding then becomes empathy and admiration. The understated Britishness and impersonality remains in tact for the rest of the film, and quite rightly, but there is a sense the ice has melted for Capt Shepard and there are several glimpses as to his kindness and fairness whilethe story progresses.

Finally, there is a very well staged and believable battle scene at the end as the Bismark and other ships exchange fire

I have watched this film several times over and it has never ceased to impress me. 4 1/2 stars.

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I see you spell Dana Wynter as Dana Wynta.  Is that a typo, or do you know something about her?

dts

Lol uhh I'd say a say a typo. As I recall I wrote this very late at night and i rarely re-read over what I write. Hence why most of my reviews tend to have no flow and ramble on a bit. ^_^

RSS

Latest Activity

Ktrek replied to Ktrek's discussion What's the last DVD you purchased?
6 hours ago
Ktrek replied to Ktrek's discussion What Are You Watching?
6 hours ago
kareng replied to Ktrek's discussion What Are You Watching?
7 hours ago
kareng replied to Ktrek's discussion What Are You Watching?
7 hours ago
Edward Jones replied to Ktrek's discussion What's the last DVD you purchased?
7 hours ago
kareng replied to Kenneth Lawson's discussion Did anyone here get to see The 70th Birthday Screening of Casablanca?
7 hours ago
kareng replied to Ktrek's discussion What's the last DVD you purchased?
7 hours ago
7 hours ago
7 hours ago
kareng left a comment for Martini Doll
8 hours ago
Ktrek posted a blog post
13 hours ago
Ktrek added a discussion to the group Movie of the Week
13 hours ago
Profile IconThe Golden Age of Hollywood now has photos
13 hours ago
Profile IconThe Golden Age of Hollywood now has videos
13 hours ago
Ktrek replied to Stephen Butler's discussion This Beautiful Corner of the Internet
13 hours ago
Ktrek left a comment for Rosie Sayer
14 hours ago

TCM Blog

StreamLine Has Moved to Tumblr!

On November 1, 2017 FilmStruck’s blog, StreamLine, moved to Tumblr. This archive will remain active for anyone looking to access older content, but going forward our daily posts dedicated to cinema will appear on FilmStruck’s Tumblr page. See the the link below to be redirected to our new location. http://filmstruck.tumblr.com/tagged/streamline-blog  

Affairs of the Heart: The Wedding Night (1935)

To view The Wedding Night click here. The Wedding Night was doomed from the start. It was producer Samuel Goldwyn’s final attempt at making the Ukrainian actress Anna Sten into a Garbo-level star, and his persistence had become something of a Hollywood joke. The Wedding Night became known around town as “Goldwyn’s Last Sten,” but […]

Murnau and the Phantoms of Germany

To view Phantom click here. It’s that time of year when Nosferatu (1922), F.W. Murnau’s interpretation of Dracula, appears on lists of recommended horror films. The oldest, existing film version of Bram Stoker’s novel, Nosferatu is likely Murnau’s most watched title. It’s eerie Expressionist style was a major influence on the American horror genre, but […]

© 2018   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service