The Golden Age of Hollywood

Views: 68

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I always found this amazing...

I love it when he does that snake hips thing.

Hi, Midge! It seems like I haven't seen you in years!  :)

Kevin

Hi, Kevin! I drop in now and then but usually don't post.

Some of those hip moves remind me of Elvis Presley.

Something else that Jolson did in 1927 should also remind you of Elvis Presley.  Any ideas? x

Well, my question seems to have gone down like a sack of potatoes, so I shall now give the waiting world the answer: In 1927, Jolson recorded the song 'Are You Lonesome Tonight?', which was a reasonable hit for him, and perhaps would have remained the definitive recording of the song until Elvis Presley's manager, Colonel Tom Parker, requested that Presley record the song at his first post-Army recording session in April 1960.  It was the only time that Parker, who did not meddle in Presley's artistic affairs, requested a particular song from his artist; in this case, it was for the Colonel's wife, who was quite ill at the time. Recorded with a relatively simple arrangement, just an acoustic guitar and backing vocals (I think there is some acoustic bass in there too), the song was a massive worldwide hit, eventually selling over five million copies. x

You are a wealth of knowledge! I'm so glad you're here!

Thank you!  I once went to RCA Studio B in Nashville, where Elvis Presley recorded 'Are You Lonesome Tonight?'.  They had a large sheet of paper - easily 36" x 18", with the vocal charts for that song on it written in large lettering - on the wall.  None of the singers could read music, apparently.  I sat down and played the same piano that was used on every Presley hit (except 'Are You Lonesome Tonight?', oddly) from 1957 until 1971.  I'm so glad I'm here, too!  You don't happen to be a Presley fan, do you? x

I'm not a huge Presley fan, but he did have a beautiful voice, and I know he was important to the evolution of rock and roll.

I had no idea that Jolson recorded "Are You Lonesome Tonight?" Thanks for the information.

I have seen only one clip from this movie. It was of Mr. Jolson singing. I was impressed with the clarity of the singing, sing it is 90 years old. However, when his parents began speaking, I was shocked to see that title cards appeared on the screen. I have always understood that this was the first talking picture. Why then were they not talking? Was only the singing overdubbed? It seems that it's not a talkie. It's a singie! Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Yours Hopefully,

Tiffany Brannan

RSS

TCM Blog

StreamLine Has Moved to Tumblr!

On November 1, 2017 FilmStruck’s blog, StreamLine, moved to Tumblr. This archive will remain active for anyone looking to access older content, but going forward our daily posts dedicated to cinema will appear on FilmStruck’s Tumblr page. See the the link below to be redirected to our new location. http://filmstruck.tumblr.com/tagged/streamline-blog  

Affairs of the Heart: The Wedding Night (1935)

To view The Wedding Night click here. The Wedding Night was doomed from the start. It was producer Samuel Goldwyn’s final attempt at making the Ukrainian actress Anna Sten into a Garbo-level star, and his persistence had become something of a Hollywood joke. The Wedding Night became known around town as “Goldwyn’s Last Sten,” but […]

Murnau and the Phantoms of Germany

To view Phantom click here. It’s that time of year when Nosferatu (1922), F.W. Murnau’s interpretation of Dracula, appears on lists of recommended horror films. The oldest, existing film version of Bram Stoker’s novel, Nosferatu is likely Murnau’s most watched title. It’s eerie Expressionist style was a major influence on the American horror genre, but […]

© 2017   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service