The Golden Age of Hollywood

Plot: girls team up, pretend to be rich to snag a rich husband

I was watching a movie called Three Blind Mice, starring Loretta Young, and I thought, "Wait, I've run across this plot before."

The basic plot is that 3 girls team up and pretend to be rich to try to land a rich husband for at least one of them.  Sometimes, the other girls pretend to be servants or secretaries.

There are at least 3 movies with this plot, and probably many more:

1. Three Blind Mice

2. Moon Over Miami

3. How to Marry a Millionaire

Can anybody think of any others?

Views: 26

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are a lot like this, aren't there.  I love this kind of movie.  I think we call them "chick flicks" in Australia.  Do they call them that in US?  I know there's one from the 1930s with Joan Crawford in it.  The one where she's a model in a big department store, living in an apartment with her friends played by Dorothy Sebastian and Anita Page.  Oh yeah, that's right "Our Blushing Brides".  Not so much pretending to be rich to land a rich husband, but 3 girls living in the 'big smoke' and learning about life.  Joan is courted by the rich son from the family that owns the department store she works at.

More info about this film (and the most opulent treehouse in movie history!) at the link, below.

http://immortalephemera.com/50693/our-blushing-brides-1930/

Another version of this story is Three Little Girls in Blue (1946) with June Haver, George Montgomery, Vivian Blaine and Vera-Ellen.

Thanks for letting me know, Midge! I looked it up on IMDB, and it said that both Moon Over Miami and Three Little Girls in Blue were remakes of Three Blind Mice. Thanks for helping with my detective work!

You're very welcome, Rosie. I'm glad I could help.

RSS

Groups

TCM Blog

This Land is Your Land: The Southerner (1945)

To view The Southerner click here. Jean Renoir considered The Southerner (1945) to be his “only work of a personal nature carried out in Hollywood.” Adapted from the National Book Award winning novel Hold Autumn in Your Hand, by George Sessions Perry, it follows a year in the life of a struggling Texas tenant farmer and his family. A lyrical portrait of do-it-yourself […]

The Man Ray Movie Challenge: Caesar and Cleopatra (1945)

To view Caesar and Cleopatra click here. In 1951, surrealist artist Man Ray, who was a fan of the cinema, quipped, “The worst films I have ever seen, the ones that put me to sleep, contain ten or fifteen marvelous minutes. The best films I have ever seen only contain ten or fifteen worthwhile ones.” […]

Shoot First, Die Later (1974)

To view Shoot First, Die Later click here. Here’s how I’d pitch Fernando Di Leo’s Shoot First, Die Later (1974) to any of my friends: If you’d like to see a gritty Italian crime movie that evokes The French Connection (1971) and surely influenced Martin Scorsese and Quentin Tarantino, look no further than this grim […]

© 2017   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service