The Golden Age of Hollywood

Remembered primarily as the girl in the shower scene from Psycho Janet Leigh stared in a wide array of films genres from musical comedy to drama and thriller.

My own interest with her started in My Sister Eileen, a musical with Betty Garrett and Jack Lemmon. I didn't even realize she was the gal from psycho until I looked her up and found out she had stared in some other great classics such as Touch of Evil, The Manchurian Candidate and Angels on the Outfield which has since been remade.

In fact she is about my first 50's star who I have actually enjoyed. Unlike many other blond beauties of the era Janet Leigh always comes across as a very intelligent and capable young woman. I read somewhere that she was attending university (studying music and psychology!) before being spotted by Norma Shearer in the late 1940's and promptly brought to Hollywood.

There's a quote from Shearer "that smile made it the most fascinating face I had seen in years. I felt I had to show that face to somebody at the studio." I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. There's an intelligence in her smiles which makes you believe she is always aware of what is going on

In Holiday Affair with Robert Mitchum there's a scene where he is telling her of his dream to make boats after which, he makes a couple of self-effacing jokes. Leigh gives him one of her knowing clever, smiles which immediately encapsulates her perceptiveness as to Mitchum's true and serious desire to have a career in boat-making. Another actress, I feel, would have treated the moment as an opportunity to let out a sweet smile of admiration.

Bottom line shes a wonderful, charming but largely forgotten actress.

Would like to know if there are any other GOAH fans out there?

Views: 2

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had the privilege to meet her about two years before her passing.  She signed seventeen items for me, as I was getting things for my Internet buddies' Christmas.  She was SO tiny!  This was at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art, where that evening, she introduced a restored version of Touch of Evil.  That and Scaramouche are my favorites of her works.  One of hers that I really enjoy you never see on the tube is The Perfect Furlough.
OMG that's so cool!!!! God I'd give anything to have a signed memorabilia of such a wonderful star as her. Ill have to see Scaramouche ^_^

RSS

TCM Blog

StreamLine Has Moved to Tumblr!

On November 1, 2017 FilmStruck’s blog, StreamLine, moved to Tumblr. This archive will remain active for anyone looking to access older content, but going forward our daily posts dedicated to cinema will appear on FilmStruck’s Tumblr page. See the the link below to be redirected to our new location. http://filmstruck.tumblr.com/tagged/streamline-blog  

Affairs of the Heart: The Wedding Night (1935)

To view The Wedding Night click here. The Wedding Night was doomed from the start. It was producer Samuel Goldwyn’s final attempt at making the Ukrainian actress Anna Sten into a Garbo-level star, and his persistence had become something of a Hollywood joke. The Wedding Night became known around town as “Goldwyn’s Last Sten,” but […]

Murnau and the Phantoms of Germany

To view Phantom click here. It’s that time of year when Nosferatu (1922), F.W. Murnau’s interpretation of Dracula, appears on lists of recommended horror films. The oldest, existing film version of Bram Stoker’s novel, Nosferatu is likely Murnau’s most watched title. It’s eerie Expressionist style was a major influence on the American horror genre, but […]

© 2018   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service