The Golden Age of Hollywood

What do you suppose happened to the characters of some of your favorite classics? For instance, Billy Wilder stated he didn't think Fran & Baxter lived happily ever after once The Apartment ended. Or what became of Ethan Edwards after he dropped Debbie off & The Searchers ended.

Looking forward to seeing the fruits of your imaginations.

Views: 2

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've seen this film many, many times and noticed that mannerism but never knew the reason behind it. It's another reason to love THE SEARCHERS. Thanks MothGirl.
I know, isn't that just so touching, and it makes the ending ever so much more evocative, and I reallly didn't think that was possible. This is from Wikipedia;

As an homage to him, John Wayne held his right elbow with his left hand in the closing shot of The Searchers, imitating a stance Carey himself often used in his films. According to Wayne, both he and Carey's widow Olive (who costarred in the film) wept when the scene was finished.

Beginning in 1917 and continuing through 1921 at Universal, Carey starred in, sometimes wrote stories and screenplays for, and even on occasion produced such John Ford films as "Bucking Broadway" (1917), "Hell Bent" (1918), "Bare Fists" (1919), an early version of "The Outcasts of Poker Flat" (1919), "Marked Men" (1920), "Desperate Trails" (1921), and one of the most notable of the early John Fords, "Straight Shooting" (1917).

Shortly after he died, his old colleague John Ford dedicated his remake of "Three Godfathers" (1948)--with Carey Jr in one of the title roles--"to the memory of Harry Carey, bright star of the early Western sky". And John Wayne himself considered him to be the greatest of all the Western stars. So, with his widow and son both starring in THE SEARCHERS, and directed by Ford, there is just an incredible amount of very moving subtext in that closing gesture by Wayne, and it makes it all the more great, in my opinion.
Forgive my late reply - I've just figured out how to access my discussions. I remember seeing the dedication to Harry Carey in "Three Godfathers" and being vaguely aware of Harry as an early cowboy movie star and you are spot on - the gesture adds even more to one of the most powerful scenes on film. How is that even possible!
On the subject of "The Searchers", I'm sure you aware that Buddy Holly pilfered the line, 'That'll be the day.' for his popular hit single after seeing the movie. Wouldn't it have been great if the Duke had covered that particular rock'n'roll classic. Then again, maybe not. Although his spoken intro to Dean Martin's "Rio Bravo" is rather cool.
Hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving.

RSS

TCM Blog

StreamLine Has Moved to Tumblr!

On November 1, 2017 FilmStruck’s blog, StreamLine, moved to Tumblr. This archive will remain active for anyone looking to access older content, but going forward our daily posts dedicated to cinema will appear on FilmStruck’s Tumblr page. See the the link below to be redirected to our new location. http://filmstruck.tumblr.com/tagged/streamline-blog  

Affairs of the Heart: The Wedding Night (1935)

To view The Wedding Night click here. The Wedding Night was doomed from the start. It was producer Samuel Goldwyn’s final attempt at making the Ukrainian actress Anna Sten into a Garbo-level star, and his persistence had become something of a Hollywood joke. The Wedding Night became known around town as “Goldwyn’s Last Sten,” but […]

Murnau and the Phantoms of Germany

To view Phantom click here. It’s that time of year when Nosferatu (1922), F.W. Murnau’s interpretation of Dracula, appears on lists of recommended horror films. The oldest, existing film version of Bram Stoker’s novel, Nosferatu is likely Murnau’s most watched title. It’s eerie Expressionist style was a major influence on the American horror genre, but […]

© 2018   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service