The Golden Age of Hollywood

UPDATE:

We've done many categories since this game started. I announce the current category in the game, but if you can't find the announcement, just ask any of the players.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's a game I play every chance I get with anyone who knows about movies. It's very simple: we pick a movie category and take turns naming titles of movies that fit in the category. For example, "films with a number in the title," or "films with hospital scenes" or "films with Joseph Cotten." I thought I'd see if anyone here wants to play.

Since there's no way of knowing how many people would want to join in, we can't take turns, so let's do it this way: only name one title at a time and wait for someone else to name one before you go again. The game ends when either we can't think of any more titles, or we reach 50 titles (because I know some people could go on and on way past the point where I would get bored with the category). So please mention the number we're on when you name a title.
It's no fair using IMDB or other sources, but if you run across a title by accident while the game is going on, it's fair to use it.
I'll start, and for the category I choose "films in which a fire occurs" (not a fire in the fireplace). The fire doesn't have to be depicted, just mentioned. This is a hard category for me, because it will mostly be composed of dramas, and I'm more into comedies, but here goes:

(WARNING: SPOILERS)
1. Rebecca

Views: 51284

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is so interesting to know about the Technicolor parts of "Ben Hur." I had never heard of that.

33. Head from 1968. This is a movie with the Monkees, and it is in color, but I understand that there are clips from several earlier films, including The Sign of the Cross, The Black Cat (1934), Golden Boy, and Gilda, plus others. These are in black and white.

The other participants have been thinking of some interesting movies!

Here's one I've been longing to post!

34. Joan the Woman (1916)- tremendous silent epic ten-reeler directed by Cecil B. DeMille and starring Geraldine Farrar.

Remarkable and sweeping portrayal of the life and sacrifice of French martyr Joan of Arc, Maid of Orleans, witnessed through the eyes of a World War One Soldier.

A fatigued Officer, Eric Trent (Wallace Reid) fighting in the trenches of Normandy, on a suicide mission, experiences a vision when he finds Joan of Arc's sword. In the vision, he is approached by Joan and travels back in time to the 15th century as his ancestor, engaged in battle with the English troops against King Charles VII and the French.

The movie is shot in black and white, with segments of colour tints.  Almost at the finale, when Joan is burning at the stake; in a segment, yellow and red is used to emphasize the effect of the billowing flames.

RSS

TCM Blog

StreamLine Has Moved to Tumblr!

On November 1, 2017 FilmStruck’s blog, StreamLine, moved to Tumblr. This archive will remain active for anyone looking to access older content, but going forward our daily posts dedicated to cinema will appear on FilmStruck’s Tumblr page. See the the link below to be redirected to our new location. http://filmstruck.tumblr.com/tagged/streamline-blog  

Affairs of the Heart: The Wedding Night (1935)

To view The Wedding Night click here. The Wedding Night was doomed from the start. It was producer Samuel Goldwyn’s final attempt at making the Ukrainian actress Anna Sten into a Garbo-level star, and his persistence had become something of a Hollywood joke. The Wedding Night became known around town as “Goldwyn’s Last Sten,” but […]

Murnau and the Phantoms of Germany

To view Phantom click here. It’s that time of year when Nosferatu (1922), F.W. Murnau’s interpretation of Dracula, appears on lists of recommended horror films. The oldest, existing film version of Bram Stoker’s novel, Nosferatu is likely Murnau’s most watched title. It’s eerie Expressionist style was a major influence on the American horror genre, but […]

© 2017   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service