The Golden Age of Hollywood

UPDATE:

We've done many categories since this game started. I announce the current category in the game, but if you can't find the announcement, just ask any of the players.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's a game I play every chance I get with anyone who knows about movies. It's very simple: we pick a movie category and take turns naming titles of movies that fit in the category. For example, "films with a number in the title," or "films with hospital scenes" or "films with Joseph Cotten." I thought I'd see if anyone here wants to play.

Since there's no way of knowing how many people would want to join in, we can't take turns, so let's do it this way: only name one title at a time and wait for someone else to name one before you go again. The game ends when either we can't think of any more titles, or we reach 50 titles (because I know some people could go on and on way past the point where I would get bored with the category). So please mention the number we're on when you name a title.
It's no fair using IMDB or other sources, but if you run across a title by accident while the game is going on, it's fair to use it.
I'll start, and for the category I choose "films in which a fire occurs" (not a fire in the fireplace). The fire doesn't have to be depicted, just mentioned. This is a hard category for me, because it will mostly be composed of dramas, and I'm more into comedies, but here goes:

(WARNING: SPOILERS)
1. Rebecca

Views: 52429

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

WOW This looks like a gem, Karen. A must-see! 

Its a good one, John.  I really liked it. Thought Marion and Clark were very good together. Love the subject matter too. The small mindedness of the town. The love of the head of the church for a showgirl, how he changed her and made her a better person, and vice versa. It was well done, and such a snapshot of the period too.

6. The Greatest Showman (2017) Hugh Jackman, Zac Efron, Zendaya

Orphaned, penniless but ambitious and with a mind crammed with imagination and fresh ideas, the American Phineas Taylor Barnum will always be remembered as the man with the gift to effortlessly blur the line between reality and fiction. Thirsty for innovation and hungry for success, the son of a tailor will manage to open a wax museum but will soon shift focus to the unique and peculiar, introducing extraordinary, never-seen-before live acts on the circus stage. Some will call Barnum's wide collection of oddities, a freak show; however, when the obsessed showman gambles everything on the opera singer Jenny Lind to appeal to a high-brow audience, he will somehow lose sight of the most important aspect of his life: his family. Will Barnum risk it all to be accepted?

This was a good modern movie about a circus with a difference. Saw it at the movies recently.  Can recommend.

Haha oops looks like I had two goes in a row, I'll have to miss a turn.  Lol

Hi Karen, I think the game needs slightly tweaking. When a player is on a roll she/he should be able to continue posting movies until she/he draws a blank. This will stop the game stalling, make it more competitive and when the contestants finally finish, the one with the most films posted wins the game. Then each game can be calibrated for each player and we could even have a leader board.
I hope it makes sense and you agree!

Good idea John.  The alternate turns idea worked when there were about a dozen or so of us playing but yes, nowadays your idea has merit.  We do need to wait for Rosie to give it the official go-ahead, but happy to play the way you have suggested for the time being, so that things don't stall. It will be fun and refreshing new way to play, in competition with each other.  I like it!  :D

7. The Rise and Fall of Susan Lennox (1932) Clark Gable and Greta Garbo

Helga, a poor farm girl, runs off from the lecherous brute who means to marry her and lands in the arms of a charming neighbor, engineer Rodney Spencer. When misfortune separates them, Helga seeks refuge with circus folk, then is forced to trade her body for survival in an uncaring world. Using the name Susan Lenox, the fallen woman rises high, all the way to a Manhattan penthouse. Her heart remains with Rodney. But Rodney, sickened by the path Helga has taken, finds solace in the bottle. This intense pre-Code romance is propelled by the incomparable star power of two of the greatest icons in Hollywood history - Greta Garbo and Clark Gable in their only screen pairing - as the ill-fated lovers. No film fan should miss it.

I need to see this one, Karen!

It was good.  Wish Gable and Garbo had made some more movies together.  A few more Garbos and a few less Crawfords would've worked for me!  Lol.

8. Circus World (1964) John Wayne, Rita Hayworth, Claudia Cardinale and John Smith

I was remembering a circus movie with Rita Hayworth, which I don't think I've actually seen.  Apparently Wayne was nearly fatally injured during the fire scene. Looks rather dangerous how things landed on him, whether staged or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI7xRNSd7Z8

9.  I remembered my favourite Circus movie of all time  

THE SEVEN FACES OF DR LAO (1962) one of my top 10 favourite movies of all times, starring Walter Brennan, Barbara Eden, and of course the great TONY RANDALL in about 8 or 10 different roles, i.e. all the characters in the circus of Dr Lao.

and the little boy who wants to join the circus makes me cry every time I see him ask Dr Lao if he can join

A mysterious circus comes to a western town bearing wonders and characters that entertain the inhabitants and teach valuable lessons.

Director:

George Pal

Writers:

Charles Beaumont (screen play), Charles G. Finney (novel)

RSS

Groups

TCM Blog

StreamLine Has Moved to Tumblr!

On November 1, 2017 FilmStruck’s blog, StreamLine, moved to Tumblr. This archive will remain active for anyone looking to access older content, but going forward our daily posts dedicated to cinema will appear on FilmStruck’s Tumblr page. See the the link below to be redirected to our new location. http://filmstruck.tumblr.com/tagged/streamline-blog  

Affairs of the Heart: The Wedding Night (1935)

To view The Wedding Night click here. The Wedding Night was doomed from the start. It was producer Samuel Goldwyn’s final attempt at making the Ukrainian actress Anna Sten into a Garbo-level star, and his persistence had become something of a Hollywood joke. The Wedding Night became known around town as “Goldwyn’s Last Sten,” but […]

Murnau and the Phantoms of Germany

To view Phantom click here. It’s that time of year when Nosferatu (1922), F.W. Murnau’s interpretation of Dracula, appears on lists of recommended horror films. The oldest, existing film version of Bram Stoker’s novel, Nosferatu is likely Murnau’s most watched title. It’s eerie Expressionist style was a major influence on the American horror genre, but […]

© 2018   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service