The Golden Age of Hollywood

UPDATE:

We've done many categories since this game started. I announce the current category in the game, but if you can't find the announcement, just ask any of the players.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's a game I play every chance I get with anyone who knows about movies. It's very simple: we pick a movie category and take turns naming titles of movies that fit in the category. For example, "films with a number in the title," or "films with hospital scenes" or "films with Joseph Cotten." I thought I'd see if anyone here wants to play.

Since there's no way of knowing how many people would want to join in, we can't take turns, so let's do it this way: only name one title at a time and wait for someone else to name one before you go again. The game ends when either we can't think of any more titles, or we reach 50 titles (because I know some people could go on and on way past the point where I would get bored with the category). So please mention the number we're on when you name a title.
It's no fair using IMDB or other sources, but if you run across a title by accident while the game is going on, it's fair to use it.
I'll start, and for the category I choose "films in which a fire occurs" (not a fire in the fireplace). The fire doesn't have to be depicted, just mentioned. This is a hard category for me, because it will mostly be composed of dramas, and I'm more into comedies, but here goes:

(WARNING: SPOILERS)
1. Rebecca

Views: 52396

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

(6)  Inception (2010)  Leonardo di CAPRIO, Marion Cotillard, Ellen Page

(found an article to explain the mind control in the movie - too complicated for me to explain, have seen this film a few years ago)

Mind Control techniques are used ..... in Inception...... It is a confusing film with the idea of different dream realities at its core . From Wikipedia :

Dominic Cobb ( Leonardo DiCaprio ) washes up on a beach and is brought by armed guards into the chamber of an elderly man . The scene then cuts to a dream in the mind of Saito ( Satan ? ) where Cobb, Arthur and dream world architect Nash ( Freemasonry’s Great Architect of the Universe ? ) are on an extraction mission in which an individual’s mind is infiltrated by through dreams and information is stolen .

Extractors and their victims sleep in close proximity to one another, connected by a device that administers a sedative and share a dream world built on their mental projections . In the dreamworld, pain is psychologically experienced as real but death results in awakening .

Cobb carries a spinning top to use as a totem, a unique object which either spins unceasingly or topples, allowing him to always determine whether he is dreaming or awake, respectively . Unbeknown to Cobb or Arthur, Saito is in fact auditioning the team to work for him . Saito asks Cobb to perform the act of  ‘ inception ‘ using dreams to secretly implant an idea .

The film continues with the characters inhabiting various different dream worlds and the story mainly concerns the return journey to reality .

You can tell if a movie or video is being used for some form of Mind Control if there are various symbols implanted and in this film I had to refer to the keywords list in IMDB to remind myself of all the symbols . Symbols are understood by the Mind at a deep level and are crucial in successful Mind Control programming . From a researcher into Mind Control, Roger Patton :

A former military officer connected to the DIA told this writer : ” In the big picture ” these people ( Mind Control victims ) are in all walks of life, from the bum on the street to the white collar guy ” .

One of the main internal structures withinn the system is shaped like a double-helix consisting of seven levels . Each system has an internal programmer which oversees the gatekeeper who grant or deny entry into the different rooms .

A few of the internal images predominantly seen by victims/survivors are trees, infinity loops, ancient symbols and letters, spider webs, mirrors or glass shattering, masks, castles, mazes, demons/monsters/aliens, sea shells, butterflies, snakes, ribbons , bows, flowers hour glasses, clocks, and robots .

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1375666/?ref_=vi_close

Wow, that does sound complicated! I couldn't even follow the summary. It does sound like an interesting movie, though, kind of like Matrix. I haven't seen it but will keep an eye out for a chance to.

7. Rain - WARNING: SPOILER

This movie is an amazing (especially for its time) depiction of a woman's brainwashing by a religious fanatic. The brainwasher is a fire-and-brimstone preacher played by Walter Huston. He finally gets Sadie Thompson (Joan Crawford) to believe that she's a sinner and must atone for her sins. In this case, she must atone in the way he specifies, which he will force upon her even if she doesn't agree. However, she's actually a good person and didn't commit the crime she's been convicted of. (But she's very sexually attractive and free, and that's the real reason the preacher and his wife can't tolerate her "wicked ways.") The preacher's unsavory victory is in getting Sadie to doubt herself, to break down her self-esteem and make her turn to the preacher for answers and the hope of being "worthy." She turns into almost an automaton despite the attempts of a nice guy who cares about her to get through to her about what the preacher is doing. Then the preacher himself shatters the spell he has cast when he makes sexual advances to Sadie. The preacher's wife (Beulah Bondi) was complicit in the belittling and brainwashing of Sadie (and was probably just as brainwashed by her husband). What happens to them ultimately is the logical result of their hateful attitudes masquerading as religious piety.

I think that one of the messages of the movie is: Beware of hypocrites speaking righteous-sounding words. But there's another level on which you can examine this movie. Sadie came to her senses and was saved in a very tangible sense. The preacher's negative worldview was ultimately his fatal flaw. This is not necessarily an anti-religious movie, but I would say that it speaks against hatred and judgment. This film has a fascinating text with many layers. You can also watch it for the psychological aspects--the denial and defenses, the manipulation techniques, etc.

8.  CAREFREE (1938)  Ginger Rogers, Fred Astaire, Ralph Bellamy, Jack Carson

Psychiatrist Dr. Tony Flagg  (Fred Astaire) does his friend Stephen Arden (Ralph Bellamy) a favor by taking on his fiancee, Amanda Cooper  (Ginger Rogers) , as a patient.

Amanda, a singer on the radio, can't seem to make a decision about Stephen's many proposals of marriage, so Tony probes with her subconscious mind.

He is to interpret her dreams. When Amanda dreams of dancing with her doctor, she's convinced that she's in love and to avoid telling Tony about the dream, makes up a wild dream.

This leads Tony to believe that Amanda has serious physchiatric problems and he hypnotizes her to act on her impulses. By some chance, Stephen comes by, not knowing that she's under the spell and Amanda is crazy in public. The next day, there is a party and Amanda gets Tony to dance with her (the Yam) and in the process of trying to tell Stephen that she's in love with her doctor, Stephen thinks that she's saying that she's in love with him.

Amanda then dances with Tony, telling him that "something terrible has happened, and you're mixed up in it." So, good old Tony hypnotizes Amanda again, saying that Tony does not love her and that "Men like him should be shot down like dogs." Alas, Amanda gets out again and finds a gun at the country club and starts shooting at Tony.

Suddenly, Tony realizes that he's in love with Amanda and desperately tries to undo his doing. Stephen accuses him of trying to take his wife away. At Amanda and Stephen's wedding day, he sneaks in and wants to punch Amanda so that she is unconscious and he can hypnotize her but can't bring himself to do it. Stephen barges in, aims a punch at Tony but smacks Amanda unconscious instead. Tony then tells Amanda that he loves her, and they're married.

I hadn't thought of this one. Great choice, Karen! This is one of my favorite Fred-and-Ginger movies. I should try to think of other movies involving hypnosis...

I like this one too. A fav.  Fred and Ginger were just SO GOOD :D

#9. Alfred Hitchcock's "The Manchurian Candidate,"  brain washed assassin used in murder plot. Original movie with Laurence Harvey and Frank Sinatra,  remade with Denzel Washington as assasin.

Excellent pick, and a chilling movie! I finally watched it after years of hearing about it. Amazingly, it's in the public domain (the original), so you can watch it for free on archive.org. It's not a Hitchcock film, though. It was directed by John Frankenheimer, a joint production by Frankenheimer and George Axelrod.

10. The Stepford Wives (1975)- psychological science fiction thriller directed by Bryan Forbes, starring Katherine Ross, Paula Prentiss, Peter Masterson, Nanette Newman and Tina Louise.

Joanna Eberhart (Katherine Ross), a young mother and photographer moves into a new neighbourhood with her husband Walter (Peter Masterson) and their children, At first, life is idyllic, their surroundings a joy to live in, and the residents seemingly friendly and sincere. 

The Wives of Stepford radiate perfection: impeccably dressed, beautifully adorned and bizarrely obedient to their husbands, but gradually Joanna discovers a dark secret that manifests itself within their flawless behaviour and presence.

Since psychological manipulation is a characteristic of the movies selected. I have one that may or may not fit. Feel free to disqualify the movie.  

This time I have the right director, it is an early Hitchcock movie starring Robert Donat, "39 Steps." 

Spoiler alert. Spoiler Alert. Spolier Alert.

The movie is about an espionage ring and their plans to control the world. At the beginning of the movie a man who can recall all kind of facts is on stage being asked questions. I think he knew not only the longest river in the world but also the length of the river. He recalled many facts. 

Anyway the psychological manipualtion is that the 39 steps refers to an espionage ring and they had used him to store their plans for world domination. They turned him into a human super computer, PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION?

At the end of the information he is asked the question about the 39 steps and he spills the beans. 

I will let you be the judge. I thought it fit but understand if you do not think it fits.

Attachments:

I remember at the end Mr. Memory said he was glad it was over, that it had been a burden on him. He did seem hypnotized when he was given his signal to deliver his information. I'll accept it, barring any protests from the others.

Please post your movies in the reply box at the top of the page rather than as a reply to the last post. Otherwise, the order of posts and replies gets confusing. Thank you, Gem Data!

This is a reply to John's pick:

I had forgotten about this movie, maybe because I never saw it. But it has become a part of American culture. It crystallized something everyone knew but didn't have a good meme for. I must see it one of these days!

RSS

Groups

TCM Blog

StreamLine Has Moved to Tumblr!

On November 1, 2017 FilmStruck’s blog, StreamLine, moved to Tumblr. This archive will remain active for anyone looking to access older content, but going forward our daily posts dedicated to cinema will appear on FilmStruck’s Tumblr page. See the the link below to be redirected to our new location. http://filmstruck.tumblr.com/tagged/streamline-blog  

Affairs of the Heart: The Wedding Night (1935)

To view The Wedding Night click here. The Wedding Night was doomed from the start. It was producer Samuel Goldwyn’s final attempt at making the Ukrainian actress Anna Sten into a Garbo-level star, and his persistence had become something of a Hollywood joke. The Wedding Night became known around town as “Goldwyn’s Last Sten,” but […]

Murnau and the Phantoms of Germany

To view Phantom click here. It’s that time of year when Nosferatu (1922), F.W. Murnau’s interpretation of Dracula, appears on lists of recommended horror films. The oldest, existing film version of Bram Stoker’s novel, Nosferatu is likely Murnau’s most watched title. It’s eerie Expressionist style was a major influence on the American horror genre, but […]

© 2018   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service