The Golden Age of Hollywood

UPDATE:

We've done many categories since this game started. I announce the current category in the game, but if you can't find the announcement, just ask any of the players.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's a game I play every chance I get with anyone who knows about movies. It's very simple: we pick a movie category and take turns naming titles of movies that fit in the category. For example, "films with a number in the title," or "films with hospital scenes" or "films with Joseph Cotten." I thought I'd see if anyone here wants to play.

Since there's no way of knowing how many people would want to join in, we can't take turns, so let's do it this way: only name one title at a time and wait for someone else to name one before you go again. The game ends when either we can't think of any more titles, or we reach 50 titles (because I know some people could go on and on way past the point where I would get bored with the category). So please mention the number we're on when you name a title.
It's no fair using IMDB or other sources, but if you run across a title by accident while the game is going on, it's fair to use it.
I'll start, and for the category I choose "films in which a fire occurs" (not a fire in the fireplace). The fire doesn't have to be depicted, just mentioned. This is a hard category for me, because it will mostly be composed of dramas, and I'm more into comedies, but here goes:

(WARNING: SPOILERS)
1. Rebecca

Views: 51113

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This sounds great! I had never heard of it or of Mary Hatcher.

46. "Show People" from 1928. Among the cameos are Charles Chaplin, Douglas Fairbanks, John Gilbert, Mae Murray, Rod LaRocque, Leatrice Joy, Norma Talmadge, Elinor Glyn, King Vidor, William S. Hart and Louella Parsons.

I recently saw Urban Cowboy. In the movie, John Travolta and Debra Winger meet at a bar called Gilley's. I thought it was Charlie Daniel's bar, pretty stupid, but there us a scene with Mickey Gilley and his band playing at his bar. There were a few other country stars in the movie but I can not remember their names

I checked IMDB, and "Urban Cowboy" qualifies as number 46 in the game.

47. "It's a Great Feeling" from 1949. Doris Day plays a pretty but slightly crazy blonde who is trying to break into the movie industry with the help of Dennis Morgan and Jack Carson, who play themselves. Their mad pursuit nearly drives a poor producer insane. The film also features dozens of cameos from notable Warner Bros. actors, including Jane Wyman, Ronald Reagan, Errol Flynn, and Edward G. Robinson. It's a great movie!

48, Scared Stiff (1953) - Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis slapstick vehicle, directed by George Marshall.

A reworking of the movie The Ghost Breakers (1940), made a decade before. Likewise, this is also directed by George Marshall and starred Bob Hope and Paulette Goddard, and much of the sets in the original film were used in the latter.

A nightclub crooner and a busboy try to escape the law and the gangster fraternity to a remote Cuban island. In one scene, Bob Hope and Bing Crosby appear as scary skeletons.

Some great sight gags and available to watch on YouTube.

49.  It (1927)  Clara Bow

The writer of the It book and creator of the "It" concept, Elinor Glyn appears in this movie as herself.

Shopgirl Betty Lou (Clara) has designs on Cyrus Waltham, the handsome owner of the department store where she works. Waltham, though, doesn't even know Betty Lou is around. In hopes of attracting Waltham's attention, she accepts a date with his best friend, Monty, under the condition that they dine at the Ritz, where Waltham also has a dinner date that evening. Her plan works and in no time at all she and Waltham are contemplating marriage. The romance cools when a newspaper reporter mistakenly writes a story depicting Betty Lou as an unwed mother.

I'm 25mins into this movie at the moment.

If Urban Cowboy counts, Rosie, do we now have 50,

(i.e. UC can be no. 50?)

have we all talked new topic yet?

51. Thank Your Lucky Stars (going up to 51 this time because I accepted a TV episode)

We made it! I thought that was a pretty tough category, so I'm surprised it went so smoothly. It helped that a lot of people pitched in. Thank you, all!

We haven't talked about the next category yet, but I know that Tiffany was interested in doing movies that are partially in black and white and partially in color. That sounds like a tough category to me, and I doubt we would make it to 50, but maybe we could see how far we can get.

Looking for feedback from the group, and don't be shy! :-)

Agree it would be a tough category. Maybe go to 10 or something ?  If we're going from our memories of movies we've watched, I'm pretty I can only think of about one.  We could stretch the category to include something like movies where there is an animated scene (in an otherwise un-animated film), there are a few of those, but would be tough too.

RSS

TCM Blog

William Wyler’s Wuthering Heights (’39)

To view Wuthering Heights click here. Following the success of Dead End (written about here) in 1937, director William Wyler headed over to Warner Bros. to direct Jezebel (1938), a romantic drama set in the antebellum South, starring Bette Davis and Henry Fonda. The film was a critical and commercial success, and earned Davis her […]

“He Don’t Believe in Anything” – Mr. Freedom

To view Mr. Freedom click here. There’s a scene in Arthur Miller’s American Clock, a lesser known and not very successful later work of his, where a father and son go to a government office during the Depression to try and get the son a work voucher since the father won’t let him live at […]

Taking Issue with A Boy and His Dog (1975)

A guest post provided by former TCM intern, Alexandra Greenway. To view A Boy and His Dog click here. A Boy and His Dog follows 18-year-old Vic (Don Johnson) and his telepathic dog, Blood (voiced by Tim McIntire), as they scavenge for women in the dystopian Wild West in the year 2024. The film is […]

© 2017   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service