The Golden Age of Hollywood

UPDATE:

We've done many categories since this game started. I announce the current category in the game, but if you can't find the announcement, just ask any of the players.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's a game I play every chance I get with anyone who knows about movies. It's very simple: we pick a movie category and take turns naming titles of movies that fit in the category. For example, "films with a number in the title," or "films with hospital scenes" or "films with Joseph Cotten." I thought I'd see if anyone here wants to play.

Since there's no way of knowing how many people would want to join in, we can't take turns, so let's do it this way: only name one title at a time and wait for someone else to name one before you go again. The game ends when either we can't think of any more titles, or we reach 50 titles (because I know some people could go on and on way past the point where I would get bored with the category). So please mention the number we're on when you name a title.
It's no fair using IMDB or other sources, but if you run across a title by accident while the game is going on, it's fair to use it.
I'll start, and for the category I choose "films in which a fire occurs" (not a fire in the fireplace). The fire doesn't have to be depicted, just mentioned. This is a hard category for me, because it will mostly be composed of dramas, and I'm more into comedies, but here goes:

(WARNING: SPOILERS)
1. Rebecca

Views: 51288

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

34.  Michael Jordan plays himself in Space Jam.

Swackhammer (Danny DeVito), an evil alien theme park owner, needs a new attraction at Moron Mountain. When his gang, the Nerdlucks, heads to Earth to kidnap Bugs Bunny (Billy West) and the Looney Tunes, Bugs challenges them to a basketball game to determine their fate. The aliens agree, but they steal the powers of NBA basketball players, including Larry Bird (Larry Bird) and Charles Barkley (Charles Barkley) -- so Bugs gets some help from superstar Michael Jordan (Michael Jordan).

35.  The Five Pennies (1959)-Jazz biopic

Danny Kaye expertly plays the life and career of cornettist,  composer and Traditional jazz and Swing bandleader, Ernest Loring "Red" Nichols.

Red Nichols and his five Pennies were one of the most popular bands of the 1920's, but although almost forgotten in modern times his musical style and artistic virtuoso was greatly influential to jazz musicians of the 1930's, 1940's and 1950s.

Bandleader Bob Crosby, younger brother of Bing, plays a character in the film whereas Red's great friend Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong appears in the film as himself. Bob Hope also makes a cameo appearance.

Great clip

Airport 75 (1974) Gloria Swanson, Charlton Heston, Karen Black, Linda Blair
Gloria Swanson plays herself - in her last film role.

When an in-flight collision incapacitates the pilots of an airplane bound for Los Angeles, stewardess Nancy Pryor (Karen Black) is forced to take over the controls. From the ground, her boyfriend Alan Murdock (Charlton Heston), a retired test pilot, tries to talk her through piloting and landing the 747 aircraft. Worse yet, the anxious passengers -- among which are a noisy nun (Helen Reddy) and a cranky man (Sid Caesar) -- are aggravating the already tense atmosphere.

Cast: Gloria Swanson, Myrna Loy, Charlton Heston, Karen Black, George Kennedy, Linda Blair, Helen Reddy
Director: Jack Smight

Plot: After the pilots of a jet airliner are killed in a freak accident, a stewardess must pilot the plane to safety.

Swanson was first offered the part of an alcoholic but told the writers that she was not interested in it. They pursued her until she finally agreed to accept the part if she could play herself. So that is what she did - she talks with her fellow passengers about making movies in the silent days, health foods, etc. 

Here's the story so far....

not far to go to get to 50,

and I can think of a few more...

A TV show...hope that's okay

37.  I Love Lucy---a hilarious episode in which star-struck Lucy is seated near William Holden (playing himself) in the Brown Derby Restaurant

I think it needs to be a movie, Patti. Rosie will be the one to call that ☺

We normally don't allow TV shows in this game, but I'll let it stand this one time. We can always go up to 51 titles, and that will make it come out all right. How is that for a decision? :-)

LOL

Sounds good to me  Lol  :)

Diplomatic if I may say so.

RSS

TCM Blog

StreamLine Has Moved to Tumblr!

On November 1, 2017 FilmStruck’s blog, StreamLine, moved to Tumblr. This archive will remain active for anyone looking to access older content, but going forward our daily posts dedicated to cinema will appear on FilmStruck’s Tumblr page. See the the link below to be redirected to our new location. http://filmstruck.tumblr.com/tagged/streamline-blog  

Affairs of the Heart: The Wedding Night (1935)

To view The Wedding Night click here. The Wedding Night was doomed from the start. It was producer Samuel Goldwyn’s final attempt at making the Ukrainian actress Anna Sten into a Garbo-level star, and his persistence had become something of a Hollywood joke. The Wedding Night became known around town as “Goldwyn’s Last Sten,” but […]

Murnau and the Phantoms of Germany

To view Phantom click here. It’s that time of year when Nosferatu (1922), F.W. Murnau’s interpretation of Dracula, appears on lists of recommended horror films. The oldest, existing film version of Bram Stoker’s novel, Nosferatu is likely Murnau’s most watched title. It’s eerie Expressionist style was a major influence on the American horror genre, but […]

© 2017   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service