The Golden Age of Hollywood

UPDATE:

We've done many categories since this game started. I announce the current category in the game, but if you can't find the announcement, just ask any of the players.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's a game I play every chance I get with anyone who knows about movies. It's very simple: we pick a movie category and take turns naming titles of movies that fit in the category. For example, "films with a number in the title," or "films with hospital scenes" or "films with Joseph Cotten." I thought I'd see if anyone here wants to play.

Since there's no way of knowing how many people would want to join in, we can't take turns, so let's do it this way: only name one title at a time and wait for someone else to name one before you go again. The game ends when either we can't think of any more titles, or we reach 50 titles (because I know some people could go on and on way past the point where I would get bored with the category). So please mention the number we're on when you name a title.
It's no fair using IMDB or other sources, but if you run across a title by accident while the game is going on, it's fair to use it.
I'll start, and for the category I choose "films in which a fire occurs" (not a fire in the fireplace). The fire doesn't have to be depicted, just mentioned. This is a hard category for me, because it will mostly be composed of dramas, and I'm more into comedies, but here goes:

(WARNING: SPOILERS)
1. Rebecca

Views: 51111

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ah, okay no problem - I am unable to see back through the posts for this game for some reason so I have no way of checking to see what has already been posted - let's try again with this one and hopefully it will work - maybe a little list of which movies with famous people appearing as themselves have already been used so far could be posted if it's not too much trouble? - maybe it's my browser, but I can't access the posts other than the current page.

I had the same problem. I had to access the Game from the main page, click on the last page of posts from there, and then I could see the previous page button.

15. "The Reluctant Dragon" (1941)

Humorist Robert Benchley visits the then newly built Disney Studios in Burbank, hoping to sell them the rights to The Reluctant Dragon for a movie.  The film is a mix of black and white footage of Mr. Benchley's adventures at the studio, as he wanders about, hoping to meet Mr. Disney and in between these scenes, we also get to see some animated shorts in color.  I'd love to own this film, as it's a great historical record of the Disney studios in the early 1940s.  He meets animators Ward Kimball, Norm Ferguson and Fred Moore, as well as Clarence Nash, who was the voice of Donald Duck for many years.   He finally gets to meet Walt Disney, who appears as himself, who has already made a short film of "The Reluctant Dragon", which he screens for Benchley. 

(As an additional point of interest, Alan Ladd plays an animator in the film in a small part, which must have been shortly before he became a recognizable star of the 1940s.)

This is awesome. I didn't know this movie existed, and I love Robert Benchley. I have two boxed sets of his shorts. (That sounds strange, doesn't it? LOL) I must get this one!

Beware of the version of "The Reluctant Dragon" that is just the animated shorts, with all the super cool black and white Benchley parts edited out - I think you can only get the full version if you get the double disc set of "Walt Disney Treasures - Behind The Scenes At The Disney Studio" which is a tad pricey.  I like Robert Benchley a lot too.  Here is a little part of the film where sound effects are being created for a cartoon (with actor Frank Faylen playing the role of the orchestra leader);

That was really fun! Thanks for posting, MothGirl!

Our numbering has gotten way off. Here's what's been named so far:

1. The Glenn Miller Story

2. Anchors Aweigh

3. That Touch of Mink

4. High Society

5. Two Guys From Milwaukee

6. Dear Brigitte

7. Hollywood Canteen

8. Abbott and Costello in Hollywood

9. The Band Wagon

10. Speedy

11. This Is the Army

12. Here Comes the Groom

13. Dancing Lady

14. Fantasia

15. Why Him?

16. To Hell and Back

17. Sunset Boulevard

18. The Reluctant Dragon

Thanks, Rosie!  I can think of lots more, so hopefully I won't forget this list - since I can't go backwards through the previous pages for this game for some weird reason and can only see whatever current page we are on, I will definitely try to remember these so I don't duplicate any of them.

If you go to the Main page for GAOH, click on A Game I Play, then you will see the page numbers at the bottom of page 1. If you click on the last page number, it takes you back into where we are in the game, and the Previous page button is miraculously restored. At least, it worked for me.

For some odd reason, it's sorted itself out - no clue as to why, but thanks for trying to help me.

19. Three Daring Daughters - In this musical, a divorced mother of three daughters, played by Jeanette MacDonald, meets and falls in love with famed conductor José Iturbi. He plays a starring role as himself.

20. "The Great Ziegfeld" (1936)

This lavish biopic stars William Powell as Florence Ziegfeld, Myrna Loy as Billie Burke and Luise Ranier as Anna Held (she won an Oscar for this role).  The film also stars some of the original Ziegfeld Follies stars as themselves, including Fannie Brice, dancer Harriet Hoctor and Ray Bolger.   Here's Ray dancing in the movie, with a shot of Harriet Hoctor with Fannie on the set below it;

RSS

TCM Blog

William Wyler’s Wuthering Heights (’39)

To view Wuthering Heights click here. Following the success of Dead End (written about here) in 1937, director William Wyler headed over to Warner Bros. to direct Jezebel (1938), a romantic drama set in the antebellum South, starring Bette Davis and Henry Fonda. The film was a critical and commercial success, and earned Davis her […]

“He Don’t Believe in Anything” – Mr. Freedom

To view Mr. Freedom click here. There’s a scene in Arthur Miller’s American Clock, a lesser known and not very successful later work of his, where a father and son go to a government office during the Depression to try and get the son a work voucher since the father won’t let him live at […]

Taking Issue with A Boy and His Dog (1975)

A guest post provided by former TCM intern, Alexandra Greenway. To view A Boy and His Dog click here. A Boy and His Dog follows 18-year-old Vic (Don Johnson) and his telepathic dog, Blood (voiced by Tim McIntire), as they scavenge for women in the dystopian Wild West in the year 2024. The film is […]

© 2017   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service