The Golden Age of Hollywood

UPDATE:

We've done many categories since this game started. I announce the current category in the game, but if you can't find the announcement, just ask any of the players.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's a game I play every chance I get with anyone who knows about movies. It's very simple: we pick a movie category and take turns naming titles of movies that fit in the category. For example, "films with a number in the title," or "films with hospital scenes" or "films with Joseph Cotten." I thought I'd see if anyone here wants to play.

Since there's no way of knowing how many people would want to join in, we can't take turns, so let's do it this way: only name one title at a time and wait for someone else to name one before you go again. The game ends when either we can't think of any more titles, or we reach 50 titles (because I know some people could go on and on way past the point where I would get bored with the category). So please mention the number we're on when you name a title.
It's no fair using IMDB or other sources, but if you run across a title by accident while the game is going on, it's fair to use it.
I'll start, and for the category I choose "films in which a fire occurs" (not a fire in the fireplace). The fire doesn't have to be depicted, just mentioned. This is a hard category for me, because it will mostly be composed of dramas, and I'm more into comedies, but here goes:

(WARNING: SPOILERS)
1. Rebecca

Views: 50784

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

6.  Dear Brigitte (1965) Billy Mumy, James Stewart, Brigitte Bardot (uncredited)

A professor's son is fascinated by Brigitte Bardot and meeting her.

This movie was going to be called ERASMUS WITH FRECKLES, after the book on which it was based. But Bardot only agreed to appear on the condition that her name did not appear in the credits or any of the promotional materials. The only way the producers could capitalize on Americans' fascination with Bardot was by changing the title to alert the audience that she was in the movie.

I have known of this movie for some time, but I haven't actually seen it, but it looks charming, and such talent all in one room (and one movie) together!  Brigitte and Billy are adorable in this scene.  :D

7. Hollywood Canteen - This is one of several wartime fundraisers made by the studios, crammed with Hollywood stars playing themselves. The plot centers around a young soldier, played by Robert Hutton, who is a huge fan of Joan Leslie. At the Hollywood Canteen he gets to meet her, along with a host of other movie stars.

Abbott and Costello in Hollywood (1945)  Bud Abbott, Lou Costello, Frances Rafferty

Many cameo appearances including Lucille Ball,Rags Ragland, Preston Foster and Dean Stockwell.

A barber, Buzz Curtis (Bud Abbott), and a porter, Abercrombie (Lou Costello), work for a Hollywood salon. They are sent to the office of agent Norman Royce to give him a haircut and a shoeshine. On the way there they run into former co-worker Claire Warren who is about to star as the lead in a new musical. Long story short, and lots of laughs along the way, the duo end up as 

big-time agents in Hollywood.

NO. 8 THAT WAS...

I'd love to see this sometime. I've only seen clips from it.

Used to enjoy it coming on TV in the school hols 

9. The Band Wagon - Near the beginning of the movie, Fred Astaire's character, a show performer and movie star, is arriving in New York. He gets a lot of attention from a group of reporters until Ava Gardner steps off the train.

Good one, Rosie!

"Speedy" (1928)

Harold Lloyd is Harold "Speedy" Swift in this fun film (the last of his Silents, with lots of great on location shots of New York City in the 1920's), who goes from job to job.  He's a huge Yankees fan and during the day he spends as a taxi cab driver, he has a chance to meet his hero, Babe Ruth, who plays himself in this film. 

As a point of interest, this film also includes some wonderful footage of Coney Island, which is not to be missed - this was the first Harold Lloyd film I ever saw, on a double bill with Buster Keaton's "The General" and I was instantly converted into a fan.

Hi MothGirl, great to see you here. Hope all is going well with you. Shall look out for this one!  

Hi - great to see you too - you can't go wrong with any of Harold Lloyd's silent films - they're ALL such feel good movies!

I hope I am doing this right:

10. THIS IS THE ARMY (1943)

Another wartime flag-waver, this one features Irving Berlin who plays the legendary songwriter Irving Berlin.  I haven't seen the film in some time, but I do remember him being in it.  It was directed by Michael Curtiz, who had just recently finished Casablanca.  Funny old world. x

RSS

TCM Blog

One for all, and all for one!

To view The Three Musketeers click here. To view The Four Musketeers click here. Director Richard Lester was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania but he made some of the best British films of the 1960s. Inspired by Buster Keaton and Jacques Tati, he developed an acute funny bone and an appreciation of the absurd that allowed […]

Black Jesus (1968) Isn’t What You Think It Is

To view Black Jesus click here. I’d honestly be shocked if more than a handful of people around here have heard of Black Jesus (1968) before today. Barely released in American theaters by one-shot outfit Plaza Pictures and never given a legitimate home video release (ignore the bootleg DVDs), this is a rough, tough and […]

Summer Daze: Monsieur Hulot’s Holiday (1953)

To view Monsieur Hulot’s Holiday click here. The first screen appearance of Jacques Tati’s Hulot character is inside of a car: a clattering, jittering wreck making its way to a seaside hotel in Monsieur Hulot’s Holiday (1953). Tati cuts from the sound of a train horn to the pitter-putter of Hulot’s gasping car engine as it turns the corner […]

© 2017   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service