The Golden Age of Hollywood

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have been reading previous rounds of "A Game I Play," and it sounds like fun, so I would like to start a round. As I understand it, one person names a film genre or category, such as films containing a certain type of event, a certain actor, etc. People take turns naming films in this category until they have reach fifty. All participants must use their own memories and knowledge; it is cheating to check some source for information.

My topic is films which are only partially in color. These could be single scenes, individual dance numbers, dream sequences, or even brief shots which are in color in a black and white movie. Of course, one could also mention a color film that contained only a brief black and white sequence. I thought of this idea because of the article I just wrote for the "Colours Blogathon" hosted by "Thoughts All Sorts." I wrote about The Solid Gold Cadillac from 1956: https://pureentertainmentpreservationsociety.wordpress.com/2017/09/.... The last minute or so of this black and white film are in color, so this is the beginning of the game. Who has the next film in this genre?

By the way, I am hosting a blogathon celebrating the Golden Code era of Hollywood. It's called "The Great Breening Blogathon." You can see the original article about it here at my website: https://pureentertainmentpreservationsociety.wordpress.com/2017/09/.... I invite everyone who loves the golden age of Hollywood to join!

Let the game begin!

Yours Hopefully,

Tiffany Brannan

Views: 28

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tiffany, I love your idea for a category. You don't need to start a new discussion thread to play this game. You are more than welcome to play with us at the original "A Game I Play."

RSS

TCM Blog

William Wyler’s Wuthering Heights (’39)

To view Wuthering Heights click here. Following the success of Dead End (written about here) in 1937, director William Wyler headed over to Warner Bros. to direct Jezebel (1938), a romantic drama set in the antebellum South, starring Bette Davis and Henry Fonda. The film was a critical and commercial success, and earned Davis her […]

“He Don’t Believe in Anything” – Mr. Freedom

To view Mr. Freedom click here. There’s a scene in Arthur Miller’s American Clock, a lesser known and not very successful later work of his, where a father and son go to a government office during the Depression to try and get the son a work voucher since the father won’t let him live at […]

Taking Issue with A Boy and His Dog (1975)

A guest post provided by former TCM intern, Alexandra Greenway. To view A Boy and His Dog click here. A Boy and His Dog follows 18-year-old Vic (Don Johnson) and his telepathic dog, Blood (voiced by Tim McIntire), as they scavenge for women in the dystopian Wild West in the year 2024. The film is […]

© 2017   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service