The Golden Age of Hollywood

I feel that Hathaway is one who never got the acclaim he deserved. He made adventure films such as The Lives of a Bengal Lancer and The Real Glory, underrated westerns such as Garden of Evil and Rawhide, dramas such as Fourteen Hours and Call Northside 777. And True Grit.

Yet fim historians have forgotten him.

Views: 8

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm going to convert you, you realize that.
I just got Fox Western Classics which contains both Rawhide and Garden of Evil so I'll be watching those soon. I notice that both of these not only were directed by Hathaway but also had Susan Hayward and also had Hugh Marlowe in the cast. Coincidence? Maybe I should look up his credits and see what other Hathaway films I have and make it a Hathaway Week...
Y'know, I never noticed the Hayward/Marlowe tie-ins, and generally I'm fairly decent at things like that. Garden of Evil has one of the best closing lines, period, so watch for it. Also, a terrifif score by Bernard Herrmann. (I've read he was actually criticized for it. I believe they said something along the lines of too 'arty' or something like that. Anyway, now it's a classic.)

It also contains one of my favorite Widmark performances. Curious to see what you think.

BTW, if you have Lives of A Bengal Lancer, you HAVE to view that during a Hathaway week.
Unfortunately, I don't have Lives of a Bengal Lancer and it doesn't appear to be scheduled to air on TCM this or next month so I'll have to watch for it in the future.
That's a must. One of the few Cooper films where he has a mustache. (Not that this is the reason the film is a must, of course.) It's one of the great adventure films of all time. Franchot Tone is terrific in it.
I hate to say it but I looked up what I have of Hathaway and I have 11 of his movies...and most of them are westerns. Even the two I have that aren't westerns feature John Wayne wearing a cowboy hat (Legend of the Lost and Circus World). I guess I need some other films of his...Lives of a Bengal Lancer only seems to be available in a box set in the US and I'm not sure it's a good quality set.
I've never been able to finish Legend of the Lost, truth be told. Circus World isn't bad, imo. If you're into film music, Tiomkin steals some of the score from Friendly Persuasion. (The dance at the fair is used by the caliope.) TCM at times plays Lives of a Bengal Lancer, btw.

RSS

Groups

TCM Blog

StreamLine Has Moved to Tumblr!

On November 1, 2017 FilmStruck’s blog, StreamLine, moved to Tumblr. This archive will remain active for anyone looking to access older content, but going forward our daily posts dedicated to cinema will appear on FilmStruck’s Tumblr page. See the the link below to be redirected to our new location. http://filmstruck.tumblr.com/tagged/streamline-blog  

Affairs of the Heart: The Wedding Night (1935)

To view The Wedding Night click here. The Wedding Night was doomed from the start. It was producer Samuel Goldwyn’s final attempt at making the Ukrainian actress Anna Sten into a Garbo-level star, and his persistence had become something of a Hollywood joke. The Wedding Night became known around town as “Goldwyn’s Last Sten,” but […]

Murnau and the Phantoms of Germany

To view Phantom click here. It’s that time of year when Nosferatu (1922), F.W. Murnau’s interpretation of Dracula, appears on lists of recommended horror films. The oldest, existing film version of Bram Stoker’s novel, Nosferatu is likely Murnau’s most watched title. It’s eerie Expressionist style was a major influence on the American horror genre, but […]

© 2018   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service