The Golden Age of Hollywood

I don't cry at movies, as a rule, though I plead guilty to sobbing through the last 10 minutes of The Bridges of Madison County. I'm a hopeless romantic, what can I say?

Have any of you ever choked up, even a little bit, at one of your favorite tearjerkers? I'll admit that recently Brief Encounter and Now, Voyager got to me a little.

Views: 266

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Peter,
I don't blame you.I always cry at the end of Roman Holiday.
Great addition. I've never cried at the end of this movie, but it breaks my heart every time. It just doesn't get better than that final kiss before she returns to life as a princess.
I can't watch Miracle in the Rain, The Blue Veil or Penny Serenade anymore. Too much for me!
Penny Serenade always makes me cry too!
Man! Penny Seranade doesn't let up! My heart takes such a shellacking every time I watch it!!
Oh, gosh, yes! The ones that get to me the most are Back Street, The Life of Vergie Winters, the wedding scene in Best Years of our Lives, Pride of the Yankees, Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Brief Encounter, Roman Holiday and Penny Serenade. I loved My Foolish Heart, too, but it didn't set off the waterworks like the others did.

That was a funny story about watching Mask with your girlfriend, Dave. I started bawling in the middle of Paulie, which is a comedy about a pet parrot, because my own bird had recently died and I missed him terribly.
The Best Years of Our Lives has a lot of moments that really get to me. The wedding at the end is beautiful, and I can't help but cry during that ceremony, but I think the scene that gets me much more than the wedding is when Homer takes Wilma up to his room, to show her exactly what it means, in practical terms, to be with a man who has lost both his hands. I think that he is expecting her to be overwhelmed and frighted away by the experience. After her very tender, loving and unflinching treatment of him as she puts him to bed we're left with Homer lying there with tears streaming down his cheeks and it just gets me every time.

The Best Years of Our Lives has so many touching moments in it. Most of them are small and just little passing moments, but I find it to be terribly moving from start to finish.
The Mission is a wonderful film. Yes it does not end with a typical Hollywood everything is well ending but it ends the only way it could have ended. I love the film and even though it's not a film I want to see over and over I do want to see it again sometime.

Kevin
I'll concur with the Brief Encounter and Now, Voyager suggestions, but I have always found the ending of Dark Victory to be heartbreaking.
I watched Dark Victory a couple of nights ago and sobbed like a baby at the end. There are quite a few that make me cry, but that's the one on my mind right now. Kim
The only time i ever cry at movies is when I realize I paid to watch this drek!(Superman 3, Batman And Robin, Bewitched,The Way We Were, Hair , Howard The Duck, and tons of other swill I've spent my money on and covered my face like a mafia kingpin on the way out of the theatre!)ok..I was just kidding around....On Borrowed Time with Lionel Barrymore is Awesome!
I hated Hair, but I have to agree about the American made Godzilla. I wasn't so ashamed as I was well rested after seeing that. I honestly fell asleep in the theatre!

RSS

TCM Blog

StreamLine Has Moved to Tumblr!

On November 1, 2017 FilmStruck’s blog, StreamLine, moved to Tumblr. This archive will remain active for anyone looking to access older content, but going forward our daily posts dedicated to cinema will appear on FilmStruck’s Tumblr page. See the the link below to be redirected to our new location. http://filmstruck.tumblr.com/tagged/streamline-blog  

Affairs of the Heart: The Wedding Night (1935)

To view The Wedding Night click here. The Wedding Night was doomed from the start. It was producer Samuel Goldwyn’s final attempt at making the Ukrainian actress Anna Sten into a Garbo-level star, and his persistence had become something of a Hollywood joke. The Wedding Night became known around town as “Goldwyn’s Last Sten,” but […]

Murnau and the Phantoms of Germany

To view Phantom click here. It’s that time of year when Nosferatu (1922), F.W. Murnau’s interpretation of Dracula, appears on lists of recommended horror films. The oldest, existing film version of Bram Stoker’s novel, Nosferatu is likely Murnau’s most watched title. It’s eerie Expressionist style was a major influence on the American horror genre, but […]

© 2017   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service