The Golden Age of Hollywood

I don't cry at movies, as a rule, though I plead guilty to sobbing through the last 10 minutes of The Bridges of Madison County. I'm a hopeless romantic, what can I say?

Have any of you ever choked up, even a little bit, at one of your favorite tearjerkers? I'll admit that recently Brief Encounter and Now, Voyager got to me a little.

Views: 266

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have to admit I have a tender heart and am easily moved to tears if I let myself be. I can't even count how many films have made me cry. Heck I even cry when I watch almost any episode of the TV show October Road because it's just so good and involving! The wrting is wonderful on that show and they obviously have a love for classic films as there are constant references. Fortunately my wife doesn't think less of me because I shed a tear now and then.

Kevin

Guys that cry are cool!
One film that I can't understand how anyone could not cry at is Saving Private Ryan. After the emotional roller coaster ride Spielberg takes you on to the ending I just think you would have to have a pretty hard heart not to shed a tear or two.

Kevin
Field of Dreams was Joe DiMaggios favorite movie concerning baseball.Personally I'll go with The Lou Gehrig Story. Gary
Imitation of Life, the Lana Turner version made me cry big time. The original with Claudette Colbert I really like but it does not have the same effect on me.
I have to agree with you about the Lana Tuner version Kim. I caught that late one night all by my lonesome and balled my eyes out! LOL

Kevin
I also cried for Saving Private Ryan but one war drama that really makes me ball is the mini-series called Band of Brothers All I have to do is hear the opening credits music and I start tearing up!!

I am huge war film fan.

You are awesome! Your wife is lucky to have such a great guy as you!
I too love Band of Brothers. It's very moving and telling. For a TV mini-series it was extremely well done. The episodes in the winter battles are awesome. I actually read a couple of Stephen Ambrose's books after seeing this series.

Kevin
I agree. The Lana Turner version made me cry, too (and there really aren't very many films that can get me crying). I have heard people say that Lana wasn't that great of an actress, but I found a lot of her films fascinating- Imitation of Life, Tha Bad and the Beautiful, Peyton Place, Three Musketeers, The Postman Always Rings Twice, Green Dolphin Street, Madame X (which also made be cry, by the way). I think she was a wonderful actress, and beautiful to boot- I'm completely jealous! The other ones that make me cry are LOTR- Return of the King, The Sound of Music, and the end of San Fransisco. I'm pretty sure there are a few others, but those are the main ones.
I just saw "Hold Your Man" with Jean Harlow & Clark Gable, I couldn't help it, they were certain scenes in there that had me crying!
I cried at the end of Moulin Rouge with Kidman and Magreger. I don't think I've cried for any other moviebut I have been deeply moved by films like Brief Encounter, An Affair To Remember and Saving Private Ryan.
You know what, as much as I love IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, BRIEF ENCOUNTER and other movies about people who are so good, I gravitate more towards characters who are deeply flawed and who are trying to redeem themselves; I really don't cry during movies but I sobbed almost all the way through Spike Lee's The 25th Hour, where Edward Norton is playing this drug dealer who's been busted and is sentenced to 7 years in jail. However, he's not a bad guy; in the very first scene we see him rescuing a dog that's near death. He's a good friend, he's a nice guy and while the movie doesn't shy away from the bad things he's done, you can't help but feel so bad for this guy and what he's about to go through.

I've also shed a few tears over The Shawshank Redemption, a film whose characters aren't as flawed, but you love them nonetheless. Modern ones, I know, but they are ones that I was deeply moved by.

Other films that never fail to move me
In a Lonely Place
Imitation of Life (1959)
City Lights
To Kill a Mockingbird
--I *did* cry during the book, but the scene didn't appear in the movie.
Little Women (1994)
Pride and Prejudice (2005)
--actually, my dad cried during this movie (he's a softie)
They Live by Night
Brief Encounter
It's a Wonderful Life

RSS

TCM Blog

StreamLine Has Moved to Tumblr!

On November 1, 2017 FilmStruck’s blog, StreamLine, moved to Tumblr. This archive will remain active for anyone looking to access older content, but going forward our daily posts dedicated to cinema will appear on FilmStruck’s Tumblr page. See the the link below to be redirected to our new location. http://filmstruck.tumblr.com/tagged/streamline-blog  

Affairs of the Heart: The Wedding Night (1935)

To view The Wedding Night click here. The Wedding Night was doomed from the start. It was producer Samuel Goldwyn’s final attempt at making the Ukrainian actress Anna Sten into a Garbo-level star, and his persistence had become something of a Hollywood joke. The Wedding Night became known around town as “Goldwyn’s Last Sten,” but […]

Murnau and the Phantoms of Germany

To view Phantom click here. It’s that time of year when Nosferatu (1922), F.W. Murnau’s interpretation of Dracula, appears on lists of recommended horror films. The oldest, existing film version of Bram Stoker’s novel, Nosferatu is likely Murnau’s most watched title. It’s eerie Expressionist style was a major influence on the American horror genre, but […]

© 2017   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service