The Golden Age of Hollywood

Classic movie Man's rate the Classics got me to thinking ( and it hurt like the dickens!)I propose that we Classic horror fans should make our own top ten! So here's mine:1 Bride of Frankenstein 2 Dracula 3The Island of Lost Souls 4 King Kong 5 Freaks 6 Frankenstein 7 The Body Snatcher 8 The Wolf-Man 9 The Invisible Man 10 The Creature From The Black Lagoon.

Views: 17

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1. The Mummy
2. Bride Of Frankenstein
3. Dracula
4. The Invisible Man
5. Frankenstein
6. The Wolf Man
7. The Black Cat
8. Island Of Lost Souls
9. Werewolf Of London
10. Mystery Of The Wax Museum
1. Frankenstein, 2. Bride of Frankenstein, 3. The Cat People, 4. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, 5. King Kong, 6. The Hunchback of Notre Dame w/ Chaney, 7. Dracula, 8. The Creature From The Black Lagoon, 9. Island of Lost Souls, and 10. Beast With Five Fingers.
That would be the 1935 version with Warner Oland, Warren Hull and a very young and kooky Spring Byington.

But it was a cool song and a cool movie....anything with Jenny Agutter gets my vote. :)
I just want to say my piece about why I had to stopped watching horror films: "Real life is scary enough for me." (And I don't mean the mortgage payment is late; I mean Darfur, et alia.)
I have been advised that, though I feel this film really doesn't go in this genre, I should just loose my fear and name my favorite horror movie: ("Drumroll, Ginger!")

Francis Ford Copolla's "Apocalypse Now"
Mine would go...

1. Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
2. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)
3. The Body Snatcher (1945)
4. The Invisible Man (1933)
5. The Night of the Hunter (1955)
6. The Old Dark House (1932)
7. Son of Frankenstein (1939)
8. The Curse of the Cat People (1944)
9. Frankenstein (1931)
10. The Black Cat (1934)
oh Mayyyyun!..only 10??..aver aver..lets see..
1.Bride of Frankenstein( I taped the sound on a cassette off tv as a kid just to listen to the great waxman score)
2.The Black Cat-'34-more great music
3.The Invisible Man-more great music..Great shot at the beginning with Rains at the Tavern door in his hat,bandages.dark glasses and universal wind machine whistling in the background
4.I walked with a Zombie
5.The Cat People
6.Curse of the Cat People
7.1931 Dracula..but its a toss up between the Lugosi and the spanish language
version
8.The Hunchback of Notre Dame-'39
9.The Wolfman
10.The Mummy-'32
I'll give you my top ten, though in no particular order, as I think its not really possible to objectively compare films of such diversity (sorry, AFI) in such a way as to rank one above the other.
1--The Phantom of the Opera ('25-- my favorite film ever, but not necessarily because I think its the 'greatest' film ever...that it certainly isn't)
2--The Bride of Frankenstein ('35--I also had one of those cassette tapes, and lots of others, too!)
3--Nosferatu ('22)
4--The Wolf Man ('41)
5--The Invisible Man ('33)
6--Dracula ('31--the Lugosi version...for all its alleged technological superiority, I find it impossible to rate the Spanish-language version above this one...listen to the new commentary track by Steve Haberman on the 75th Anniversary DVD, which spells out some pretty good reasons for this. On the other hand, it could be argued that they are in fact the SAME film.)
7--Vampyr ('32--still one of the weirdest films I have ever seen)
8--Frankenstein ('31)
9--The Black Cat ('34)
10--The Cat People ('42)
I could probably think of more--perhaps this should have been a top 25? Incidentally, how old does a film have to be in order to be a "classic?" My yardstick is that anything made during my lifetime isn't "old." (Nyerk,nyerk,nyerk!)
Curse of the Demon IS a great one!!
I love The Tingler!..the movie that is..I wouldn't want one of those things growing on my spine! :o)..Interesting concept tho..I liked how much of the action took place in a Silent Movie revival Theatre..
Yes Addie, the seats were set to vibrate when the Tingler appeared on screen! Ya Gotta love William Castle!!
wonder in any of those Seats ever got out of hand and fried anyone?? heh heh

RSS

TCM Blog

StreamLine Has Moved to Tumblr!

On November 1, 2017 FilmStruck’s blog, StreamLine, moved to Tumblr. This archive will remain active for anyone looking to access older content, but going forward our daily posts dedicated to cinema will appear on FilmStruck’s Tumblr page. See the the link below to be redirected to our new location. http://filmstruck.tumblr.com/tagged/streamline-blog  

Affairs of the Heart: The Wedding Night (1935)

To view The Wedding Night click here. The Wedding Night was doomed from the start. It was producer Samuel Goldwyn’s final attempt at making the Ukrainian actress Anna Sten into a Garbo-level star, and his persistence had become something of a Hollywood joke. The Wedding Night became known around town as “Goldwyn’s Last Sten,” but […]

Murnau and the Phantoms of Germany

To view Phantom click here. It’s that time of year when Nosferatu (1922), F.W. Murnau’s interpretation of Dracula, appears on lists of recommended horror films. The oldest, existing film version of Bram Stoker’s novel, Nosferatu is likely Murnau’s most watched title. It’s eerie Expressionist style was a major influence on the American horror genre, but […]

© 2018   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service