The Golden Age of Hollywood

I thought it might be fun to see what everyone is purchasing these days. And please do NOT feel like you need to limit your response to just classic films. As a matter of fact my last purchase was not a classic film at all but the latest Stargate SG1 movie called ARK OF TRUTH. It was quite good and any Stargate fan would probably appreciate the film. I must say that I also bought the soundtrack for the film and in this rare occasion I love the soundtrack more than the film.

So, what was your latest DVD purchase or purchases?

Kevin

Views: 1130

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kind of odd that this hasn't gotten any action yet.

Anyway, Derek blogged about Alice Faye Collection Vol. 2 coming out soon on DVD and I didn't even know there was a volume 1. So, I ordered that and it was shipped out today. I love Alice Faye movies. If only they would start releasing a few of my other favorites like the Jeannette MacDonald/ Nelson Eddy movies and Sonja Henie.

Kevin
I haven't actually sent my order yet, but I'm about to order the new DVD releases of Midnight and Easy Living, which I already have on VHS. I'm also about to order Blithe Spirit from Amazon.co.uk.
Two weeks ago a local DVD rental place was having a huge sale, and I found Forty Guns, Force of Evil and Last Year at Marienbad all for a total of $18. I feel bad for the guy who didn't see the value of Alain Resnais' famously ambiguous film, which is out of print and goes for up to $200 on eBay.
My last purchase was Donat's The 39 Steps and A Shriek in the Night with Ginger Rogers. Both I got at a really cheap price in a bargain bin. :D
Funny you would call it Donat's 39 Steps because most people would have called it Hitchcock's. :)

Kevin
Oh right haha. I just remembered there being several versions and thought I'd better put the actor in. I didn't even think of Hitchcock :D!
The last DVDs I bought (they were at the same time) were the Criterion Collection version of Charade and The Dick Cavett Show: Hollywood Greats collection. If you have never seen any episodes of that show, then check it out sometime. There are some classic moments with Bette Davis in one episode, and a rather famous interview with Katherine Hepburn. I also love the interview with Robert Mitchum!
I saw most of the Dick Cavett interviews when his show was originally aired. Then the selected star interviews that were broadcasted on TCM last year. He was a very good interviewer.

Kevin
As Kevin did, I saw most of the collection on TCM last year. The Katherine Hepburn footage is, to my mind, absolutely magnificent.
The last one I got was the 1927 film "Underworld" directed Josef von Sternberg.

This was a film that was shelved by the studio, but finally had one theatre release and became a hit.

Basically, studio heads thought maybe the public wouldn't like Josef's storytelling and unique camera work, but they were wrong.

Since this was Josef's first released film after Chaplin shelved "A Woman of the Sea" (which was produced by Chaplin in 1926), really wanted to see it.
Where did you find a DVD of Underworld?? Please let me know!
Hello Christian,
I have not been in for awhile.

As for where I found the DVD, it was on eBay. I don't know much about who produced it, but the only one I could find.

Linda

RSS

Groups

TCM Blog

Let’s Go Crazy with Betty Blue (1986)

To view Betty Blue click here. We might have a few NSFW films lurking around here at FilmStruck (1974′s Sweet Movie springs to mind right off the bat), but for my money, nothing you could watch here at this moment combines the beautiful and the shocking in quite the same way as Betty Blue (1986). […]

This Land is Your Land: The Southerner (1945)

To view The Southerner click here. Jean Renoir considered The Southerner (1945) to be his “only work of a personal nature carried out in Hollywood.” Adapted from the National Book Award winning novel Hold Autumn in Your Hand, by George Sessions Perry, it follows a year in the life of a struggling Texas tenant farmer and his family. A lyrical portrait of do-it-yourself […]

The Man Ray Movie Challenge: Caesar and Cleopatra (1945)

To view Caesar and Cleopatra click here. In 1951, surrealist artist Man Ray, who was a fan of the cinema, quipped, “The worst films I have ever seen, the ones that put me to sleep, contain ten or fifteen marvelous minutes. The best films I have ever seen only contain ten or fifteen worthwhile ones.” […]

© 2017   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service