The Golden Age of Hollywood

I thought it might be fun to see what everyone is purchasing these days. And please do NOT feel like you need to limit your response to just classic films. As a matter of fact my last purchase was not a classic film at all but the latest Stargate SG1 movie called ARK OF TRUTH. It was quite good and any Stargate fan would probably appreciate the film. I must say that I also bought the soundtrack for the film and in this rare occasion I love the soundtrack more than the film.

So, what was your latest DVD purchase or purchases?

Kevin

Views: 1438

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They sound very interesting, Rosie !  :D

Bombshell - the Hedy Lamarr story

I saw where that's on Netflix, Ed. I'm hoping to see it soon.

Unless I need it for research for something I'm writing, or it's one of the new major Oscar winners (e.g. I have every Best Picture), I don't buy DVDs.  With all the movies on cable, I seldom watch DVDs any longer.

Well, then you can contribute in this thread instead! ;)

WHAT ARE YOU WATCHING?

I recently treated myself to the great Frank Capra comedy classic Mr Deeds Goes to Town starring Gary Cooper, Jean Arthur. George Bancroft, Lionel Stander. I've wanted to purchase it for a long time, I'm glad I have. It's just a wonderful film.

One of my favorites as well, John.

Most recent purchase: THE KINETOPHONE. While this may not be of general interest, it's especially fascinating to Vitaphone fans like me. We've heard all the stories of how they flopped, and the technical problems. Seeing them is something of a revelation, because today we can synch them better than in 1913! I've watched the collection three times already!

What are your favorites in that collection?

Just picked up James Edwards, Frank Lovejoy, and Lloyd Bridges in Home of the Brave.  Also, managed to find Powers Booth's Philip Marlowe series for HBO.

I picked up several DVDs of Broadway shows.  John Cullum in a revival of 'Shenandoah.'  Would you believe The Night of the Hunter as a musical on Broadway?  (They've also done Psycho and The Silence of the Lambs as musicals, but I've yet to order those.)  Also, Clue.  Also picked up a Hallmark Hall of Fame episode of 'Arsenic and Old Lace' that starred Tony Randall, Boris Karloff, Mildred Natwick, and Tom Bosley.  Then Art Carney, Marion Lorne, Elizabeth Montgomery, Fred Gwynne, Charlotte Rae, and Jack Weston in 'Harvey.'  And I have another version of 'Arsenic and Old Lace' heading my way with Lillian Gish, Helen Hayes, Bob Crane, and Gwynne.

RSS

Latest Activity

Groups

TCM Blog

StreamLine Has Moved to Tumblr!

On November 1, 2017 FilmStruck’s blog, StreamLine, moved to Tumblr. This archive will remain active for anyone looking to access older content, but going forward our daily posts dedicated to cinema will appear on FilmStruck’s Tumblr page. See the the link below to be redirected to our new location. http://filmstruck.tumblr.com/tagged/streamline-blog  

Affairs of the Heart: The Wedding Night (1935)

To view The Wedding Night click here. The Wedding Night was doomed from the start. It was producer Samuel Goldwyn’s final attempt at making the Ukrainian actress Anna Sten into a Garbo-level star, and his persistence had become something of a Hollywood joke. The Wedding Night became known around town as “Goldwyn’s Last Sten,” but […]

Murnau and the Phantoms of Germany

To view Phantom click here. It’s that time of year when Nosferatu (1922), F.W. Murnau’s interpretation of Dracula, appears on lists of recommended horror films. The oldest, existing film version of Bram Stoker’s novel, Nosferatu is likely Murnau’s most watched title. It’s eerie Expressionist style was a major influence on the American horror genre, but […]

© 2018   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service