The Golden Age of Hollywood

I thought it might be fun to see what everyone is purchasing these days. And please do NOT feel like you need to limit your response to just classic films. As a matter of fact my last purchase was not a classic film at all but the latest Stargate SG1 movie called ARK OF TRUTH. It was quite good and any Stargate fan would probably appreciate the film. I must say that I also bought the soundtrack for the film and in this rare occasion I love the soundtrack more than the film.

So, what was your latest DVD purchase or purchases?

Kevin

Views: 1126

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just ordered a bootleg of my favorite B Western WACO.  It has an interesting contrast:  Howard Keel's the star, yet Lorne Greene sings the title song!

I just ordered Holy Matrimony (1943), starring Monty Woolley and Gracie Fields. I saw this on TCM some time ago and really liked it. The other day, I watched a film I'd never seen from a large boxed set, called His Double Life (1934), starring Roland Young and Lillian Gish, and one of the scenes rang a bell. I thought it might be the same story as Holy Matrimony. I looked up the author of the story and found out that sure enough, both movies were based on the same story. Both versions are good, and now I will have both of them.

It's been a really long time since I bought a DVD for myself, but I just placed an order in honor of my birthday this Saturday. I ordered Almost a Bride, starring Shirley Temple and David Niven, which I've never seen, and Road to Rio to replace my copy that got lost. I also got from a friend a Jean Harlow boxed set which replaces two movies I really liked, one of which went missing and the other of which stopped playing. The two are The Girl from Missouri and Personal Property. I think I will order another DVD soon. There's something else I need to order from Amazon that qualifies for free shipping, so I might as well add a DVD.

I just ordered The Shaggy Dog. I like having a bunch of feel good movies from my childhood around when I need a good pick-me-up. Shortly before that I bought The Parent Trap. I haven't had a chance to watch them yet, but I'm looking forward to it!

Most of my collection is feel-good movies. I just ordered a portable DVD player, as my last one died several years ago. I am so much looking forward to watching movies in bed again. That is the ultimate coziness! I can't wait till it arrives.

Here is an excel spreadsheet listing all my movies. Quite a few dupes it does not list all of my Amazon online movies or Google movies I have purchased.

I couldn't see the spreadsheet.

I'm so excited - I just tracked my package, and my portable DVD player will be arriving today, not tomorrow! I have been saving my two new DVDs to watch in bed on this player.

RSS

Groups

TCM Blog

Let’s Go Crazy with Betty Blue (1986)

To view Betty Blue click here. We might have a few NSFW films lurking around here at FilmStruck (1974′s Sweet Movie springs to mind right off the bat), but for my money, nothing you could watch here at this moment combines the beautiful and the shocking in quite the same way as Betty Blue (1986). […]

This Land is Your Land: The Southerner (1945)

To view The Southerner click here. Jean Renoir considered The Southerner (1945) to be his “only work of a personal nature carried out in Hollywood.” Adapted from the National Book Award winning novel Hold Autumn in Your Hand, by George Sessions Perry, it follows a year in the life of a struggling Texas tenant farmer and his family. A lyrical portrait of do-it-yourself […]

The Man Ray Movie Challenge: Caesar and Cleopatra (1945)

To view Caesar and Cleopatra click here. In 1951, surrealist artist Man Ray, who was a fan of the cinema, quipped, “The worst films I have ever seen, the ones that put me to sleep, contain ten or fifteen marvelous minutes. The best films I have ever seen only contain ten or fifteen worthwhile ones.” […]

© 2017   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service