The Golden Age of Hollywood

I thought it might be fun to see what everyone is purchasing these days. And please do NOT feel like you need to limit your response to just classic films. As a matter of fact my last purchase was not a classic film at all but the latest Stargate SG1 movie called ARK OF TRUTH. It was quite good and any Stargate fan would probably appreciate the film. I must say that I also bought the soundtrack for the film and in this rare occasion I love the soundtrack more than the film.

So, what was your latest DVD purchase or purchases?

Kevin

Views: 1184

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What a great find - that is a somewhat rare movie - I adore Von Sternberg and have yet to see that one. He was brilliant and I hope you enjoyed the film.
Straight Jacket with Joan Crawford. I actually had seen on the tube but wanted to add it to my collection. I know it isn't one of her best roles, but she still gives a great performance. I love to watch her transform from the way she enters her daughters life into her previous self. Her acting ability going from one personality to another in this film is amazing!
I'm in the minority of folks around here , but I think Strait Jacket is a really good one. Joan's preformance is awesome and I found the film quite enjoyable!
Abdullah, I stand corrected about Straight Jacket. I should have said, "I know most people think it isn't one of her best movies."---Because I did like it very much also...if we are in the minority, we are not alone!
Would love to see this. What is like?
My last classic DVD purchase was Alfred Hitchcock's Notorious. I never get tired of enjoying and studying this great film.
Oh my gosh...I was lucky to get the Criterion version of Notorious, before it went out of print....I've seen it too many times to count, it's such a great movie!
I've got to see Notorious, I keep hearing great things!
My most recent purchases are not of the classic film variety. The recent ALVIN AND THE CHPMUNKS, Woody Woodpecker Collection vol. 2,Archie's Funhouse and Sabrina the complete ainmated series were recent purchases. As it is plain to see I am a mature adult!!!
I haven't actually bought anything in a few months, but around the holidays, the Barnes and Noble by me had a DVD sale, so I bought "Rope" "North by Northwest" and "Mommie Dearest"
Kevin,
I thought I'd revive this discussion, because I finally bought some new DVDs! Yesterday I was prowling the Free Record Shop in Rottedam and found Sun Valley Serenade (Sonja Henie & John Payne + the Nicholas Brothers & Glenn Miller and his Orchestra) for €4.99. I also FINALLY got around to ordering Blithe Spirit, and while I was in an ordering mood I ordered a couple of out-of-print VHS tapes: Lady by Choice (Carole Lombard), which I'm really looking forward to, and The Big Hangover (Liz Taylor & Van Johnson).
I just noticed I misspelled "Rotterdam." I wish we could edit these posts!

RSS

TCM Blog

StreamLine Has Moved to Tumblr!

On November 1, 2017 FilmStruck’s blog, StreamLine, moved to Tumblr. This archive will remain active for anyone looking to access older content, but going forward our daily posts dedicated to cinema will appear on FilmStruck’s Tumblr page. See the the link below to be redirected to our new location. http://filmstruck.tumblr.com/tagged/streamline-blog  

Affairs of the Heart: The Wedding Night (1935)

To view The Wedding Night click here. The Wedding Night was doomed from the start. It was producer Samuel Goldwyn’s final attempt at making the Ukrainian actress Anna Sten into a Garbo-level star, and his persistence had become something of a Hollywood joke. The Wedding Night became known around town as “Goldwyn’s Last Sten,” but […]

Murnau and the Phantoms of Germany

To view Phantom click here. It’s that time of year when Nosferatu (1922), F.W. Murnau’s interpretation of Dracula, appears on lists of recommended horror films. The oldest, existing film version of Bram Stoker’s novel, Nosferatu is likely Murnau’s most watched title. It’s eerie Expressionist style was a major influence on the American horror genre, but […]

© 2017   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service