The Golden Age of Hollywood

I thought it might be fun to see what everyone is purchasing these days. And please do NOT feel like you need to limit your response to just classic films. As a matter of fact my last purchase was not a classic film at all but the latest Stargate SG1 movie called ARK OF TRUTH. It was quite good and any Stargate fan would probably appreciate the film. I must say that I also bought the soundtrack for the film and in this rare occasion I love the soundtrack more than the film.

So, what was your latest DVD purchase or purchases?

Kevin

Views: 1344

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I got myself another "upgrade" recently, this time Laura on blu-ray. More than anything it provided me with a reason to enjoy one of the finest films of the 40's for the fifth or sixth time I would say! Hats off to technology... and dear old Clifton Webb of course, "Insipid, I trust" Not at all! 

Lovely, moody film. My favorite line of Clifton Webb's: "It's lavish, but I call it home."

The steelbook of Poltergeist !

I had such a lucky find recently! A friend and I went to the public library. He went into the library's used bookstore and found every classic DVD they had. One of them made my eyes bounce out on springs like in the cartoons. Years ago, I had the movie You Gotta Stay Happy, a screwball comedy starring James Stewart and Joan Fontaine, costarring Eddie Albert. It was on VHS tape with some diabolical copy protection that wouldn't allow me to copy it onto a DVD. I really wanted it on DVD, but the only commercial DVD available was part of a boxed set of 5 James Stewart movies (the Screen Legend Collection). The other movies in the set were of little or no interest to me, but I had the set on my Amazon wish list anyway, just for that one movie. A dear friend ordered it for me one Christmas from Amazon, but unfortunately, the one disk I wanted was damaged. So, since I no longer have a VHS player, I have been without the movie for 9 years, and this boxed set has been sitting sadly on my shelf. Well, guess what they had for sale in the library bookstore...the same boxed set for $2! Needless to say, I got it, and I have tested the disk. It plays, hooray! It must have been Joan Fontaine day, because I also got Casanova's Big Night (JF and Bob Hope), which I have never seen.

I hope to be getting a bonanza of new classics soon, because my birthday is coming up, and a friend is burning some DVDs off of TCM for me.

The last 2 movies I bought are the following steelbooks. Both landmark films that still speak to us today in so many ways...

Great movies!

A Rock Hudson 4 pack with my favorite 'Man's Favorite Sport' with Paula Prentis if you've never seen it your missing a great comedy. It also had John McGiver, Gig Young.

TIN PAN ALLEY

SPRINGTIME IN THE ROCKIES

Great! :D

North by Northwest with Cary Grant

Great! :D

I didn't buy these---I got them for my birthday. I got a replacement DVD of A Matter of Life and Death (my other copy went missing), and--most exciting--I got a Kim Novak boxed set that includes one of my all-time faves Middle of the Night. I was so happy to get this movie, and I highly recommend it. Frederic March's performance is extremely touching. I also got Same Time Next Year, a sweet but somewhat poignant romantic comedy starring Ellen Burstyn and Alan Alda.

RSS

TCM Blog

StreamLine Has Moved to Tumblr!

On November 1, 2017 FilmStruck’s blog, StreamLine, moved to Tumblr. This archive will remain active for anyone looking to access older content, but going forward our daily posts dedicated to cinema will appear on FilmStruck’s Tumblr page. See the the link below to be redirected to our new location. http://filmstruck.tumblr.com/tagged/streamline-blog  

Affairs of the Heart: The Wedding Night (1935)

To view The Wedding Night click here. The Wedding Night was doomed from the start. It was producer Samuel Goldwyn’s final attempt at making the Ukrainian actress Anna Sten into a Garbo-level star, and his persistence had become something of a Hollywood joke. The Wedding Night became known around town as “Goldwyn’s Last Sten,” but […]

Murnau and the Phantoms of Germany

To view Phantom click here. It’s that time of year when Nosferatu (1922), F.W. Murnau’s interpretation of Dracula, appears on lists of recommended horror films. The oldest, existing film version of Bram Stoker’s novel, Nosferatu is likely Murnau’s most watched title. It’s eerie Expressionist style was a major influence on the American horror genre, but […]

© 2018   Created by Ktrek.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service